The following summary includes all major incidents reported to the Department of Public Safety between Sept. 2 and Sept. 8. It does not include general service and alarm calls.

The Providence Police Department also responds to incidents occurring off campus. DPS does not divulge information on open cases that are currently under investigation by the department, the PPD or the Office of Student Life. DPS maintains a daily log of all shift activity and general service calls which can be viewed during business hours at its headquarters, located at 75 Charlesfield St.

Sept. 6

3:01 a.m. A Brown University police officer responded to assist the Providence Police Department at a private residence at 169 Cushing St. with a larceny report. The Brown student reported that sometime between 7 p.m. on Sept. 5 and 3 a.m. on Sept. 6 an unknown person entered her locked bedroom on the third floor and removed her laptop from her desk. The hasp on the outside of her bedroom door was torn off the door and the padlock remained locked and intact. The officer then met with another Brown student who lives on the second floor and stated that her purse was stolen from her unlocked bedroom.

She stated that her Brown ID, driver's license, and two credit cards were in the purse. It should be noted that there was a large party at the residence earlier in the night and there were numerous people in and out of the house throughout the night and the front door to the residence was open during this period of time.

5:35 p.m. A Student reported that he left the residence at 99 Benevolent St. at approximately 11 p.m. on Sept. 5 and when he returned back on Sept. 6 at approximately noon he noticed that the rear outside door had been kicked in. Damage sustained was to the door jam, lock and to the door window. He advised the officer that nothing was taken and neither he nor any of the other tenants knew anyone who could have done it.

Sept. 7

3:46 p.m. Officers were dispatched to Olney House to meet with a student who stated that he left his room at approximately 12:30 a.m. and arrived back at 3 p.m. Upon his arrival, he observed the door to his room open approximately six inches with the lock set on the floor. Nothing was taken from his room. There are no suspects at this time. 

Sept. 8

4:34 p.m. A Brown student who is also the Alpha Chi Omega house manager stated that last Monday evening she discovered that the 60-inch plasma television belonging to Alpha Chi Omega was not where it was left for summer break. She said that during Senior Week the television was unplugged, turned around and positioned on a stand. She informed the officer that she waited to notify DPS because she wanted to wait for her fellow house members to return so that they could help her go through the basement storage. It was also stated that Facilities viewed two people carrying the television to the basement during Senior Week, but no description of these individuals could be provided. The case is under investigation.

7:47 p.m. A Student stated that at 9:30 a.m. he locked his hybrid bicycle to the bike rack at Barus and Holley. He used a wire lock to secure the bicycle. At 11:30 a.m. he returned and the bicycle was missing.