Field hockey falls to Princeton

The field hockey team fell to No. 4 Princeton, 5-1, on Saturday. The Tigers (11-2, 4-0 Ivy League) held advantages of 31-2 in shots and 18-1 in penalty corners, but Brown (4-8, 0-4) outscored Princeton in the second half.

As an icy wind whipped Warner Roof, the Tigers blew away the Bears in the first half to gain a five-goal lead heading into halftime. Princeton scored three goals in the first 13 minutes. After Brown's defense stiffened for nearly 19 minutes, the Tigers scored twice more in the final four minutes of the half to head into the break with a 5-0 lead.

Bruno's offense was flat, generating little offensive pressure and not taking its first shot until the 33rd minute, but the defense was playing deceptively well. Princeton dominated in possession of the ball, spending enough time on offense that the halftime lead could easily have been 10-0, but the Bears frequently kept the Tigers from penetrating the circle and taking shots.

That culminated when Princeton failed to score in the second half, held to 13 shots and stonewalled by Brown goalie Caroline Washburn '12, who made 9 of her 13 saves in the second frame. The Tigers' 31 total shots were 18 fewer than they took in last year's game.

The Bears broke through with 4:21 left on Kelley Harrison's '13 first career goal. Leslie Springmeyer '12 got the ball at midfield and took it down the left side before passing down to Whitney Knowlton '10. Knowlton sent a crisp cross to Harrison at the right post, who beat a diving Princeton goalie Cynthia Wray to the back of the cage to produce the 5-1 final score.

The Bears will hit the road twice this week, facing crosstown rival Providence College (5-9) on Tuesday and Cornell (8-3, 2-2) on Saturday.