A diamond to Sayles Hall's world-famous organ, which, not unlike the newly crowned World Series champion Yankees, was born around 1903, fell into disrepair in the 1980s and was restored to glory in the 1990s. Despite those 16-foot pipes, though, it still doesn't whine as loudly as A-Rod.

Coal to the developer who is proposing to build a $35 million luxury hotel on Brook Street. Beyond the dissonance between "luxury hotel" and "Brook Street," we don't see why more expensive hospitality is needed when Bagel Gourmet is already charging $9 for Mexican food.

A diamond to bioethicist Peter Singer for sharing an anecdote about how he first became interested in animal rights when he saw a friend choose a salad over a dish with meat. A lot of Brown students get where your friend was coming from — though it sometimes has less to do with vegetarianism and more to do with the fact that those "chopped sirloin patties with onion sauce" look like dirty socks.

A cubic zirconium to a state senator's proposal to consolidate all of Rhode Island's cities and towns. We're not big fans of such a concentration of power — but it's probably true that most of Central Falls' one square mile could fit snugly into the wine cellar of a Newport mansion.

A diamond to the Food Network for featuring our fine University on not one but two shows this week. Now that the cable TV floodgates have opened, maybe the Discovery Channel will cancel on the Alaskan tundra and come here to film "Man vs. Wild: The Friedman Center in February When the Heat is Off."

Coal
to the visiting performer whose avant-garde play "An Oak Tree" involves a second actor who has not seen the script beforehand. We get it — watching people flounder is fun. But for real entertainment, you could just watch the second-semester orgo kids get their midterms back next week.

A cubic zirconium to the new Thayer Street restaurant Better Burger Company. Your establishment sounds good — or at least, as you say, "better" — but if you don't serve barbeque tortellini pizza or Mexican Philly cheesesteaks with frozen yogurt, you probably won't last long around here.

A wistful diamond to Wednesday's farmer's market on Wriston — the last of the season — and those delicious harvest vegetables. It was gourd while it lasted.