Equestrian extends lead over regional competition

A 13-hour show last weekend left the equestrian riders little time for trick or treating. However, coming home with a "sweet" first-place title, the Bears had all the treats they could ask for.
Connecticut College presented just another opportunity for Bruno to show why they are the dominant team in the region this year. Trailing by one point in the final few events, Brown was able to take advantage of top three finishes in categories ranging from Open Flat to Open Fences to tie with Connecticut College.

"Conn. College had the advantage because it was their show and their horses," said Lindsay Wong '13.

The points earned at this show go towards the 114-point cumulative total that Brown has earned so far this year. Already leading the region by 16 points, Emily Bourdeau '10 said, "At this point, we're really far ahead. We expect to increase our lead. We have a very high standard on the team, which is good, and that contributes to our success."

Highlights of the show included Kelsey MacMillan '12, Rachel Griffith '10, Cara Rosenbaum '12 and Rebecca McGoldrick '12 all pointing up, or earning enough points to enter the next higher division in their respective class. Especially exciting was Griffith, who ended the show with a tie for most points on the day. She competed in a close high point ride-off, where she took second.

With the season almost at its mid point, the Bears are looking ahead to what they want out of their season. "It's been kind of expected that we send people to nationals every year," Bourdeau said. "We've been there seven out of the past 10 years." But goals are higher this year, with Brown looking to not just send riders but rather the team as a whole to compete at the national level.

The Bears will have a welcomed rest this weekend before traveling to the University of Connecticut, where they look to expand their lead over the currently no. 2 Huskies.