Football's Farnham '10 leads year's All-Ivy roll

Wide-receiver Buddy Farnham '10 was named Ivy League Football Co-Player of the Year, and eight other Brown players collected All-Ivy first team honors, the league announced last week.

Farnham's 1,003 receiving yards in 2009 led the Bears, who went 4-3 against league opponents to capture third place. He shared the Player of the Year honor with Penn linebacker Jake Lewko.

While the Bears failed in their bid to repeat as Ivy League champions, they were well-represented on both offense and defense in the end-of-year selections by Ivy League coaches.

Quarterback Kyle Newhall-Caballero '11, in his first year as a starter, was chosen as the top signal-caller after leading the league with 2,709 passing yards. He was joined on the first-team Ivy offense by his favorite targets, Farnham and fellow wideout Bobby Sewall '10, and two senior linemen, Mark Callahan '10 and Paul Jasinowski '10.

On defense, four more seniors got All-Ivy nods in their final season. Defensive end James Develin '10, tackle David Howard '10, linebacker Kelley Cox '10 and safety Chris Perkins '10 were all first-team selections.

Farnham was also named to the first team as a return specialist.

Four Bears received second team All-Ivy honors — guard Tim Danser '10, running back Zachary Tronti '11, punter Nate Lovett '12 and defensive backs David Clement '10 and A.J. Cruz '13.