Jeremy Goodman '10 is among 35 students nationwide who will receive the prestigious Marshall Scholarship for two years of graduate study in the United Kingdom, the University announced Tuesday.

A triple-concentrator from Bethesda, Md., Goodman is on track to graduate this May with an A.B. in physics, an Sc.B. in cognitive neuroscience and an A.M. in philosophy, according to a University press release. He is currently spending the semester abroad studying philosophy at University College, London.

Goodman said he will use his scholarship to study philosophy at Oxford University.
"It's ... an amazing honor and incredibly humbling to have been chosen," Goodman said Tuesday.

Up to 40 American students are selected for the Marshall each year and are given the funding to study at the graduate level at any U.K. institution in any field of study.

The lengthy and demanding application process began this summer for Goodman, when he applied for a nomination from Brown. After reviewing his submission, a committee of faculty and deans endorsed his application.

After being selected for an interview in early November, Goodman conducted mock interviews with Linda Dunleavy, associate dean of the College for fellowships and pre-law.
Goodman said he found the advising process beneficial and effective.

"Dean Dunleavy was really incredibly helpful and patient throughout the whole application process in terms of looking over essays," he said.

"We ran a couple of mock interviews, which were extremely helpful," he said. "I think (the fellowship committee) does a really good job of helping students through the process to maximize their chances of doing well."

Goodman's interview was held Nov. 16 in Washington, D.C.

In the interview, "We mostly talked about philosophy," he said. "The first question was, ‘Explain what string theory is and whether it is science,' and I actually had an answer, so that was good."

Goodman heard of his acceptance at 3 a.m. the next night after returning to London.

"I was jet-lagged and exhausted when I found out," he said. "It was pretty surreal."

Dunleavy praised Goodman as an exemplary student with a unique intellect.

"Jeremy is remarkable because of his ability to thrive both in the world of philosophy and the hard sciences," Dunleavy wrote in an e-mail to The Herald. "The Marshall represents a wonderful opportunity for him."

Goodman has been active at Brown in reviving the long-dormant Philosophy Departmental Undergraduate Group, of which he is president. He also coordinated the inaugural Brown Undergraduate Philosophy Conference, an annual event that was held for the first time this year.

While at Brown, Goodman has spent his summers working at the National Institute for Neurological Disorders and Stroke, where he conducted brain scans on epileptic patients to localize language processing areas.

Goodman said he is looking forward to the experiences that await him.

"It's really exciting to go (to Oxford) right now," he said. "Oxford has an incredibly strong program in philosophy, and it's a really vibrant community right now."

Brown faculty members with whom Goodman worked during the process "have all been extremely supportive of my application and generally have been inspiring throughout my academic career," he said.

After completing the two-year B.Phil. program at Oxford, Goodman plans to pursue a Ph.D. in philosophy.