"We have to aim high if we want to eliminate disparities and reform the health system in this country," Former U.S. Surgeon General David Satcher told an audience of students and faculty in a half-full Sayles Hall Wednesday night.

Satcher, who was appointed surgeon general by President Bill Clinton, told the audience about his experiences from 1998-2002 as surgeon general and his time as director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The talk, which was hosted by the Third World Center, was part of an ongoing Black Heritage Series on campus.

"As surgeon general, I think the most important thing I was able to do was communicate directly with the American people," Satcher said.

Satcher described the work he did when he held that office, which included the release of the Surgeon General's Call to Action to Prevent and Decrease Overweight and Obesity, as well as the Surgeon General's "prescription" for healthy living, which outlined the need for regular physical activity and healthy eating, among other suggestions.

"Our children are becoming addicted to sedentary lifestyles," Satcher said. "Our responsibility is to make sure they become addicted to physical activity and healthy foods."
One way he suggested this change could happen is through the elimination of disparities in the U.S. health system that favor some groups of people over others.

Satcher's organization, the Satcher Health Leadership Institute, has made it its mission "to develop a diverse group of public health leaders, foster and support leadership strategies, and influence policies toward the reduction and ultimate elimination of disparities," according to a slideshow Satcher presented to the audience.

In addition to eliminating health disparities felt by minorities in America, Satcher also emphasized examining social determinants, such as poverty and education, when setting forth health policy.

"The most effective way to impact health is through dealing with social determinants," Satcher said. "When we evaluate policies in this country, we have to consider how they affect health."

He pointed out that something as simple as where an individual lives can have a significant impact on his or her health.

"People that live in areas that are less safe are less likely to be physically active, "Satcher said.  "Also, the fact that 25 percent of children in Harlem are asthmatic has a lot to do with the environmental conditions there."

Satcher emphasized that while the science and health communities know what needs to be done to improve health in America, much of that knowledge hasn't yet been translated into action.

"The gap between what we know and what we do is far too wide in this country," Satcher said. "We have to continue to support the sciences to learn what works, but we also have to be willing to take action."

During the question-and-answer session that followed the presentation, Satcher had the chance to explain the philosophy that he believes got him to where he is today.

"I wanted to get into a position where I could affect health outcomes in this country," Satcher said. "I have responded to opportunities and challenges that have been consistent with that mission."