Parker Brown '12: For the name on the front, and back, of my jersey

The men's lacrosse team beat Hartford, 13-12, in overtime Wednesday, and attackman Parker Brown '12 helped to lead the Bears' effort with three goals and two assists on the day. Here's how it went down from his point of view. 

In his first career home game in Division I lacrosse, David Hawley '11, who transferred from Williams College, stuck the game-winner, top shelf (where the cookie jar goes) to give the Brown men's lacrosse team its first win of the season in overtime yesterday on Meister-Kavan Field. Off of a feed by Andrew Feinberg '11, which was, in his own words, "a lob and a half," Hawley found himself wide open with time and room above the goal. The Hartford goalie, who had previously told his defense to guard Hawley because "he shoots so fast" — and because he was scared of him — stood no chance against the Hawley Heat. Final score: Brown 13, Hartford 12.

With the goal, his second of the day, Hawley gave Coach Tiffany (Lars Tiffany '90) his first career overtime win and put the Bears at 1-1 for the season after a loss to Hofstra last Saturday. Seven different players scored for Brown, with Feinberg leading the way with four goals. Brown EMO (Extra Man Offense), which was 4-of-6 against Hoftsra, was not so hot on Wednesday, going 0-of-2 (I am on EMO, so I can say this). Fortunately, we were able to capitalize on transition and loose-ball goals, which made up for our lackluster EMO.

On the defensive side, Matt Chriss '11 was solid in goal, especially when it counted in the fourth quarter and overtime. The entire defense, for that matter, played "Outstanding!" during the last minute of the fourth quarter, especially when the Bears went man-down with 44 seconds remaining in regulation. The fourth quarter and overtime defensive efforts were led by captain Jake "the Duck" Westermann '10, who gave Brown possession of the ball after diving towards the endline (that's probably because Hartford doesn't do "Divers" in practice. Yeah man). Peter "Big Bird" Fallon '11 also stepped up in the fourth quarter and overtime, making outrageous pick-offs and dangling around the Hartford attackmen, while "the Rhino," aka Brennan Bailey '12, made clear that he is indeed, as Coach Tiffany put it, "all grown up," and owned his attackmen all day.

Between the lines, Rob "Jared Allen" Schlesinger '12 made plays on both sides of the field while looking good with his newly-trimmed mullet. The "Schlesh-pup" finished with a goal and a handful of ground balls. Defenseman Roger Ferguson '13 was all over the field, registering an assist for the second straight game while also making the Hartford attackmen wish they had stayed home. Captains Reade Seligmann '10 and Thomas Muldoon '10 quarterbacked the offense while making plays when it mattered most at the end of the game. Muldoon scooped up ground balls like a vacuum off the face-off wing, while Seligmann pulled the Bears within one in the fourth quarter. And then BANG!, Feinberg tied the score, 12-12, with his fourth goal late in the game, before the aforementioned Brown defense took over.

In Hawley's words, the win "was awesome," so we will keep this momentum rolling into Saturday, when we play St. Joe's in Philadelphia, the home of Wills "Snickers" Curley '13. Thanks to the fans for making our first win feel "Outstanding!"

For the name on the front, and back, of my jersey, this is Parker Brown signing out.

— Parker Brown

Want to write about your sport and think you can make people laugh? Send The Herald sports department an e-mail at sports@browndailyherald.com.