M. tennis defeated in Ivy matches

Of the nine players on the men's tennis team, five are first-years. With some of the veteran players out due to injury, four of the freshmen were in the lineup against Harvard at home Friday and against Dartmouth in New Hampshire Sunday. The Bears dropped both competitions, 5-2 and 6-1, respectively. The three team points were all earned by freshmen players. Tom Deighton '13 won both of his singles matches, which improved his singles record in the Ivy League to 4-2.

"The freshmen really stepped up against the more experienced teams," said Assistant Coach Nestor Bernabe. 

Harvard 5, Brown 2
The Bears lost all three doubles matches to start the competition. The closest match came at the No. 2 doubles, in which Mike Hill '13 and Charlie Posner '11 lost by one game, 8-7.

Hill got his revenge in his No. 2 singles match. He won the first set, 7-6, and went on to win the match after taking the second set, 6-4. Deighton also won his No. 3 singles match in straight sets, 6-3 and 7-5.

Dartmouth 6, Brown 1
The Bears did not fare better on their roadtrip to Dartmouth on Sunday. The Big Green overpowered the Bears in both doubles and singles. The only bright spot came from Deighton, who won his No. 3 singles match in two straight sets, 6-1 and 6-2.

"It's a good experience for the young guys on the team," Bernabe said. "Especially going into next year, when we will have new freshmen coming in."

The Bears will conclude their season at home against Yale on Saturday at 2 p.m. on the outdoor courts. When the two teams met in mid-February earlier this season, the Bears edged out the Bulldogs, 4-3.