Kinsley earns gold at championships

EUGENE, ORE. — Oregon's Hayward Field is by far the track and field capital of the United States, if not the world. At the self-proclaimed "Tracktown, USA," Olympians have been born, world records have fallen and, for Craig Kinsley '11, a Division I national title in the javelin with a throw of 250 feet, 3 inches.

Kinsley, who placed third last year at the NCAA national meet, became the first Bear to capture a track and field title since Gilbert Borjeson's '52 win in the hammer throw 58 years ago.

This title was only fitting, as Kinsley finished an undefeated season, capturing his third Ivy League title in just as many years of competition. He was also named Northeast Region Field Athlete of the Year with teammate Danielle Grunloh '10, captain of the women's team.

"It was the goal to get back to nationals," Kinsley told the Fairfield Citizen. "I definitely expected to get back there."

Kinsley was not the only competitor representing Brown at the championship meet. Brynn Smith '11 finished 18th in the hammer throw (180-3), Grunloh finished 21st in shot put (50-10.75), men's co-captain Bryan Powlen '10 finished 17th in the discus (173-3) and men's co-captain Duriel Hardy '10 finished 21st in the 10,000-meter run (30:04.19).

All of this success comes after former coach Craig Lake resigned earlier this year and was replaced by throwing coach Michelle Eisenreich, who started with the Bears in 2000.

In the athlete's march to the national championship meet, Smith broke the all-time hammer record for the Ivy League (199-8) and Grunloh set a shot put meet record at the Ivy Championships (53-3.75).

These athletes did not just have success in athletic competition. Hardy, Kinsley and Smith each earned a spot on the Academic All-Ivy League Team. The men's and women's track and field teams combined to earn the most Academic All-Ivy League titles of any sport at Brown.

Both Kinsley and Smith will return for the 2010-2011 season with hopes of repeated success.