It's a generally accepted fact that the larger meal plan options are a better deal than the smaller ones. But just how much better are they?

We took it upon ourselves to determine the cost per meal associated with each plan. Begin by assuming that points are not used to swipe into the two main dining halls, but would only be spent at Josiah's, the Gate, the Campus Market or the various cafe carts (we'll revisit this assumption later). Take the total cost of each meal plan and subtract the number of points, which are interchangeable with dollars at other dining locations besides the two main dining halls. Then, divide the remainder by the number of meal credits per year.  

So how much does a meal at the Sharpe Refectory or the Verney-Woolley Dining Hall cost? According to our calculations, the per-meal cost on the two most expensive meal plans (20 meals per week and Flex 460) is in the $6 to $8 range, which is very reasonable considering the overhead costs of running the dining halls and paying Brown Dining Services staff.

As you get to the lower meal plans, the numbers don't look as good. The cost per meal for the two of the cheapest plans (7 meals per week and Flex 240) comes out to a little over $13. That means it could be less expensive to eat out for every meal than to stay on a plan.

Yet, the worst deal appears to be the off-campus plan, which costs a whopping $16 per meal. To put that in context, one could use cash to pay $9.30 for breakfast, $12.15 for lunch and $14.25 for dinner to enter the Ratty for 50 meals, and it would still be cheaper than paying for the plan.  

Even if we relax the assumption that points are never spent in dining halls, some of the plans still aren't that cheap on a per-meal basis. Students can use 6.15 in points to enter a dining hall. If someone on the off-campus plan spends all 500 of their points to swipe into the Ratty, the average cost per meal is still close to $10. That's certainly not as bad as $16, but it is a lot considering other restaurant options in the area.

About 200 students per year select the off-campus meal plan, Director of Dining Services Gretchen Willis told the editorial page board. We're a little surprised the number is that high, and we certainly hope these students are allocating their points to bring down the per-meal cost of the plan.

In at least some ways, Brown offers more flexibility with meal plans than other schools. At Dartmouth, for example, any student enrolled in classes must be on a meal plan. And although it's hard to fully grasp the purchasing power of meal plans at other schools, it appears our plans are a little cheaper than comparable meal plans at schools like Cornell and Columbia.

However, when the total cost of a meal plan exceeds its apparent purchasing power, it's time to rethink just how convenient some of the plans are. While we feel Dining Services generally does a good job of keeping costs low and serving students, this math does give us cause for concern.  

Editorials are written by The Herald's editorial page board. Send comments to editorials@browndailyherald.com.