Brown's network-based online file storage program, MyStuff, was discontinued Saturday.

This shutdown was indirectly caused by Brown's overall switch to Google Apps for Education, according to John Spadaro, director of technical architecture and outreach for Computing and Information Services. Google's service provides one gigabyte of storage for each file type, such as spreadsheets and word documents, in comparison with MyStuff's 250 megabytes.

Not many students used MyStuff, according to Chris Grossi, assistant director of Desktop Support Services. Only six students called the CIS Help Desk about MyStuff after CIS announced that the service would be discontinued, Grossi said.

But exact figures of how many people used the service are not available because students could unknowingly activate their MyStuff accounts simply by using computer clusters, Spadaro said.

The shutdown of MyStuff was timed to coincide with the expiration of the accounts of students who graduated in May to make it less disruptive, according to Grossi.

MyStuff was created about five years ago, Spadaro said. It existed under the name Campus File Service prior to that.

"It was more heavily used five or 10 years ago," Grossi said. "The level of use has been dropping. You can tell by how many people ask questions about it."

Sharmala Narasingam '13 said she had "never heard about" MyStuff. She said she uses Google for her file storage needs.

Andrea Sassenrath '14 said the service's end would "probably not" affect her.