Victors gear up for general election

As primary tallies trickled in late Tuesday evening, it appeared the night belonged to two men connected by Providence's top office — Mayor David Cicilline '83 and his likely successor, former Housing Court Judge Angel Taveras.

Cicilline — whose hard-fought four-way Democratic primary garnered national attention — coasted to victory in the contest to replace retiring 1st Congressional District Rep. Patrick Kennedy, also a Democrat.

Taveras, a Cicilline appointee to the Providence Housing Court, soundly defeated his three opponents to become the overwhelming favorite against Independent Jonathan Scott in the mayoral general election.

Voters across Rhode Island and in seven other states plus the District of Columbia cast ballots Tuesday to determine which candidates the two major parties would field in the November general election.

Turnout, which was expected to be lighter than in previous years due to general voter malaise and the lack of a presidential contest and a competitive Democratic gubernatorial primary, was 18 percent statewide, the lowest since 1998, according to unofficial state Board of Elections data. But the results showed voter turnout in Providence jumping to 27 percent, the highest since Cicilline earned his first Democratic nomination for mayor in 2002.

A series of withering last-minute attacks from businessman Anthony Gemma criticizing Cicilline's record as mayor and blasting him for accepting erroneous pay raises threatened to undermine Cicilline's frontrunner status heading into the primary contest.  

But Cicilline weathered Gemma's assault, earning 37.2 percent of the vote to Gemma's 23.1 percent. Progressive state Rep. David Segal, D-Providence, and former state Democratic Party Chairman Bill Lynch both trailed at nearly 20 percent.

Cicilline will face the former state House minority whip from Tiverton, Republican John Loughlin II, in November.

But Gemma's strong showing among blue-collar voters "could spell serious challenges for Cicilline's campaign come November," according to Victor Profughi, Rhode Island College professor emeritus of political science and director of the polling firm Quest Research.

While no conclusive polling exists on the impact of Cicilline's sexual orientation, the fact that the Providence mayor is openly gay is likely "not helpful" among these voters, Profughi said.

Taveras also faced a tough primary, though the results tell a different story. The Providence lawyer nabbed almost 50 percent of the vote against opponents City Councilman John Lombardi; state Rep. Steven Costantino, D-Providence; and repeat mayoral candidate Chris Young. Lombardi came in second with 29.0 percent, while Costantino and Young took 20.0 percent and 1.6 percent, respectively.

"The biggest surprise of the evening was the margin of Taveras' win in Providence," Profughi said, adding that significant majorities on the East Side, which includes Brown, were key to his victory. There is "no question" that the Brown community, if construed broadly as not only students and faculty but also alums and Taveras advisers associated with the University, played an important role in Taveras' win, Profughi said.

Taveras' victory also means voters are seeking a change in city government, according to Wendy Schiller, associate professor of political science.

"It showed that voters in Providence really want a changing of the political guard," Schiller said, adding that the win represents an "opportunity for Providence to become more coherent politically" if Taveras can live up to his message of being able to bridge ethnic divides.

Taveras benefited from the competition between Costantino and Lombardi "for the same core voter base," according to Schiller. Taveras' effective get-out-the-vote effort and a successful coalition of South Providence, East Side and Fox Point voters was instrumental as well, she said.

Tuesday's voting also made John Robitaille, former communications adviser to Gov. Donald Carcieri '65, the winner of the Republican gubernatorial nomination with 70.3 percent of the vote. Robitaille defeated Victor Moffitt, a former state representative from Coventry.

State Treasurer Frank Caprio took the Democratic nomination for governor in an uncontested race. He and Robitaille will face off against independent candidate Lincoln Chafee '75 P'13 in November.

Incumbent Rep. Jim Langevin, D-R.I., fended off challengers Betsey Dennigan and Ernie Greco to reclaim his party's nomination for the 2nd District Congressional seat, with 57.4 percent of the tally, compared to Dennigan's 33.9 percent. Dennigan, a former state representative from Pawtucket, attacked Langevin from the left, galvanizing support among progressives and women's rights groups angered by Langevin's stalling on the health care bill due to his anti-abortion stance. Greco, a conservative Democrat, criticized Langevin for not sufficiently defending pro-life values.

Langevin will have a November rematch against North Kingston businessman Mark Zaccaria, who bested three opponents — William Clegg III, Michael Gardiner and Donald Robbio — in the Republican primary. Langevin handily defeated Zaccaria in the 2008 general election.

Yet Langevin's margin of victory in his Democratic primary means the race could be closer this time around.

"I think it's an opportunity for the Republicans in the 2nd Congressional District even more than in the 1st," Schiller said, adding that Dennigan's strong showing despite a lack of campaign advertising reveals "dissatisfaction to some extent with Langevin."

Primary defeats of 10 incumbent Democratic state legislators may also suggest openings for state Republicans, Schiller said.

"Republicans are relatively weak in Rhode Island in state legislative races, but this gives them an opportunity," she said. "If voters were willing to take out the incumbent and put in a replacement Democrat, they might be willing to put in a replacement Republican in November."