W. soccer takes two opponents to overtime

The Bears (3-2-1) had fans on the edge of their seats this week. They took Army (7-2-0) into overtime on Wednesday evening and came out with a 2-1 win. Returning home on Sunday afternoon, their match against Sacred Heart (4-3-2) went into two overtimes, ending in a 0-0 tie.  

Brown 2, Army 1

In West Point, N.Y. on Wednesday night, the Bears halted Army's 6-0 winning streak and became the first team this season to score more than one goal against the Black Knights.  

The game started off slow, with a scoreless first half, despite even attempts by both squads.  Army's goalkeeper Monica Lee stopped shots  by Marybeth Lesbirel '12, Gina Walker '11 and Kiersten Berg '14 to continue her shutout streak.

The beginning of the second half was Army-dominated as they led in the shot count and scored in a one-on-one contest with goalkeeper MC Barrett '14. The goal came just eight minutes after halftime. In the final 20 minutes Bruno kicked up the intensity, outshooting the Black Knights 8-0 and taking five corner kicks.  Their efforts seemed to be fruitless until Brown earned a corner kick with 52 seconds remaining. Louisa Pitney '14 took the kick, setting up Carly Ruiz '12 for a goal to tie the game.

It was a game for last minute performances. With only 15 seconds left in the ten-minute overtime, Pitney, with an assist by Walker, secured her first career goal and game-winner for Brown.

Pitney's standout performance earned league recognition when she was awarded the Ivy League Rookie of the Week on Monday. Teammate Berg received the award the previous week.

Brown 0, Sacred Heart 0

On Sunday afternoon, Brown tied Sacred Heart in a double overtime game. Both teams had a significant amount of shots on goal; tough defenses and a lack of follow-through kept the game even. Both teams had six corner kicks and Brown had a slight shot advantage — 21-18 — over the Pioneers.  

"We lacked intensity.  We were a bit lethargic out there," said Diana Ohrt '13, describing the first half.

The heat turned up in the second half, as each team seemed to come off the bench with a sense of urgency.  The pace quickened, but neither team could find the right formula to make it into the goal. The game went into two overtimes, both filled with long drives and high shots. Bruno had a glimpse of hope when a tap by Berg seemed to be in — but it knocked off the top post and bounced out.  

"We didn't have the Team A Game," said Head Coach Phil Pincince. "We had great individual efforts."

Eliza Marshall '13 agreed that fluidity was an issue. "We are all still getting to know each other," she said.

The Bears play at home on Thursday afternoon, taking on the University of Massachusetts in a 4:30 p.m. contest. Bruno then travels to Dartmouth on Saturday afternoon to take on their first Ivy League challenger.