Earlier this month, the Trojan Sexual Health Report Card ranked the University fifth in the nation in a study of sexual health on college campuses.  

While Health Services Educator Naomi Ninneman told the editorial page board she didn't know if the report card was comprehensive and was unsure exactly what factors Trojan took into account, we see the survey as a recognition of Health Services' impressive efforts to spread sexual health awareness. These include increased programming, distribution of condoms and other safe-sex supplies, a detailed website, partnerships with Residential Peer Leaders, extended Health Services hours and the brand-new peer-to-peer Sexual Health Awareness Group.

But we cannot rest on our laurels. There's only so much that Health Services can do to improve our sexual health and happiness. Ultimately it is up to us to seek out the information, care and safe-sex supplies that we need. Lest we become complacent in the glory of Trojan's report, here are two things that we should all remember:

— We may be smart, but that doesn't mean we know everything about sexual health.  

Not everyone comes to Brown with extensive sexual health knowledge or a background in sex education. As Ninneman said, "it's a big mix, everybody comes from a different place, a different high school, a different family." Even students who know a lot may still discover gaps in their knowledge or come up with new questions, she said.  

To get us up to speed, Health Services' website brown.edu/healthed is an easy first stop for detailed information on sexual health and pleasure. Students can also e-mail SHAG@brown.edu for confidential answers to sex questions or make an appointment at Health Services to talk to a health educator. And no one should feel as if he or she was supposed to know the answers already. "Learning about your sexuality and your sexual health is a lifelong process," Ninneman said.

— We may be at an elite institution, but that doesn't mean we're immune to STIs.

We don't believe anyone actually thinks they're immune, but we want to mention it just to be sure. Condoms and other safe-sex supplies are available in dorms, at Health Services and in the gender-neutral bathroom in Faunce House. And 10 cents per condom is a pretty good deal.  

Health Services also offers testing for STIs and will begin offering free HIV testing sessions Friday afternoons starting Nov. 5, by appointment. Annual HIV testing is recommended for anyone who's sexually active, Ninneman said.

Brown is lucky to have such high-quality sexual health services, but unless students take advantage of the resources, they're almost meaningless. It's up to us to take the next step.

Editorials are written by The Herald's editorial page board. Send comments to editorials@browndailyherald.com.