Over 1,000 rally against teacher dismissals at City Hall

Over 1,000 demonstrators gathered outside of City Hall yesterday to protest the firing of all of Providence's 1,926 teachers.

Teachers, students, union leaders and local politicians spoke in support of Providence teachers who received notice of their terminations last week. The firings are meant to give the Providence School Board more flexibility in its budget, Mayor Angel Taveras wrote in a letter addressed to Providence residents. Teachers received notice in time for the school board to meet a March 1 deadline for notifying them of their job status.

City Councilman Kevin Jackson promised teachers he would continue to support them "fully and strongly" and told the crowd that he had spoken up in the school board meeting last week. Seven other councilmembers were also present at the rally.

Randi Weingarten, president of the American Federation of Teachers, called the dismissals "destabilizing to kids and dehumanizing to teachers."

Speakers drew several comparisons between Providence and Wisconsin, where thousands of workers are protesting legislation that would restrict their collective bargaining rights. In a speech to the crowd, Steve Smith, president of the Providence Teachers Union, announced that Taveras was "insulted by the reference to Wisconsin" because he considered the two situations very different. "He's right," Smith said. "It's worse."

In Providence, teachers have been terminated instead of being laid off, making them ineligible for unemployment benefits and preventing them from being hired back based on seniority. The crowd echoed this complaint with chants of, "Negotiate, not terminate!"

Protesters and speakers voiced their concerns about the firings' effect on the district's students. "We have children crying at home and asking questions in the classroom," said Diane Almestica, the Parent Teachers Association president at Kennedy Elementary School in Providence."The board needs to realize who they're punishing most — the kids."

Ruth Nelson, a teacher in the Providence Public School District, said her students are confused and worried but that she does not have answers for them. "I don't even know what's going to happen today," she said.

Providence public school students also attended the rally. Angeline Gwein, a student at Hope High School, said the dismissals will "affect future generations" of students.

Seven-year-old Alfred Lima said, "We must support all teachers — well, especially the ones getting fired," eliciting a round of laughter from an otherwise serious crowd.

Teachers from several nearby cities came out to show their support. Donna Rogers, who used to teach in Providence, said she is "worried the same thing will happen" in Warwick, where she now teaches.

"If they start here, they'll spread," Deb Renaud, a teacher in Narragansett, said of the firings. "It's just the beginning."

Despite the teachers' frustration, many protestors called for communication and compromise. "We need to negotiate, not litigate," one speaker said.

Julie Latessa, a teacher in Providence, told the crowd that she and her coworkers are "flexible," adding, "we know how to cooperate."

Sentiments ranged from desperate to hopeful. Ann McGhee, a teacher at West Broadway Elementary School, said this is "the only time in my life I've felt pessimistic, and I'm an optimistic person." She added that she sees "no hope" for the situation.

Others, like Nelson, were less worried. "I have no fear," she said. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."