The culture of night-time merriment — of artful alcoholic drinks and swanky social events combined with elegant fashion —  is what the Cocktail Culture exhibition at the Rhode Island School of Design Museum showcases with delightful cohesion. Comprised of works of art in various mediums, like dresses, photographs and drawings, as well as a number of cocktail-related objects from daily life, the display is an eye-opener for fashionistas and the culturally curious alike.

Organized by the Costume and Textiles Department of the museum and curated by Joanne Ingersoll, the gallery is not limited to garments and photographs of cocktail parties by any means. Upon entrance, a clip of the iconic film "Breakfast at Tiffany's" can be seen projected onto the left wall, providing a taste of the playful glamour that pervades the collection in the main room.

In the large exhibition space, viewers can find an assortment of nightwear dating from the authentic fringed flapper dresses of the 1920s to a pink silk Halston dress from the 1980s, alongside items like Hawaiian shirts, cocktail shakers and exquisite cocktail-themed patterned fabric. Ingersoll calls these pieces "conversationals," adding that "they were just incredible and captured my imagination in a big way."

Yet the diversity of such items and the numerous disciplines involved are incorporated into the exhibition with clarity, thanks to the accompanied texts that can be found by each of the nine themes of the exhibit. These brief texts elaborate on the history and significance of the culture of the cocktail, from its emergence during Prohibition to its iconic status as a symbol of youthful American exuberance and festivity. The exhibit thereby provides an expansive and profound experience of a unique genre of modern American culture.

As for specific items, the style-savvy will rejoice in the fashion pieces on display, including pieces by designers Balenciaga, Schiaparelli and Dior. The collection has gems like shoes from the Roaring Twenties and casually glamorous dresses from the 1980s. The emphasis on the role of fashion in cocktail culture throughout its history is both beautiful and informative. "The pieces had to be exceptionally designed and illustrate a significant aspect of that period," Ingersoll said.

The exhibit is a must-see for anyone interested in getting a visually enthralling glimpse into this truly American phenomenon of the cocktail and its enduring culture and style.

Cocktail Culture will be on display at the RISD Museum through July 31. Entrance is free to Brown students.

* * * *

(four out of five stars)

An exquisite collection of dresses and a rich knowledge of the cocktail combine in this boozy affair.