Editorial: Finally ending the overnight parking ban

Earlier this month, Mayor Angel Taveras unveiled a plan to do away with the city's overnight street parking ban. Under the proposal, the city government would offer $100 year-long permits to allow citizens to park their vehicles overnight. The ban currently forbids residents from keeping their cars on the street between the hours of 2 a.m. and 5 a.m.

Providence residents would certainly benefit from this development. Because of the ban, Brown students with cars have often been compelled to purchase expensive off-campus parking spaces that are far away from their dormitories. This proposal will also provide considerable revenue for the cash-strapped city. Taveras estimated that the plan would bring in about $1 million almost exclusively through selling the permits. The proposal would also decrease the number of parking tickets and fines.

Critics argue that the cars will obstruct the streets, making it more difficult for law enforcement and emergency vehicles to navigate the roads overnight. But emergency vehicles do just fine driving through the streets during the day, when it is difficult to find a parking spot and the roads are far more congested with drivers. The permit cost could also scare enough people away that the roads will not be clogged.

We believe that the proposal could be slightly improved. We would advocate for a policy that allows individuals to park their vehicles on a per-month basis. Paying full cost for an annual policy can be wasteful for students, given that many spend the long winter break and summer months away from Providence. Allowing individuals to pay on a per-month basis would remedy the current plan that assumes long-term residency.

The Herald reported that city officials are not entirely sure of the reason for the ban, which is nearly 100 years old, and "few records exist" that attempt to explain the city law. It is distressing that over the past several decades few have thoughtfully examined and critiqued the ban. Civic vigilance and intellectual scrutiny are necessary qualities for flourishing universities and cities, and it is imperative that members of the University community continue to scrutinize local, state and national laws as well as University regulations. We hope the city will move forward to implement Taveras' plan — it will raise money for the city and make life a bit easier for Providence residents.

Editorials are written by The Herald's editorial page board. Send comments to editorials@browndailyherald.com.