Superb wine, a trendy atmosphere and perfect portions come together for an excellent gastronomic experience at Tazza Cafe in downtown Providence. The restaurant —  coffeehouse by day and restaurant and bar by night — is centrally located near the popular Trinity Repertory Company and serves up an eclectic dinner menu alongside hip and exotic cocktails.

Just inside the door, diners are greeted with an ambiance that melds a quiet bar scene, cafe-style dining and a sleek restaurant atmosphere. Windows line two walls of the restaurant, but the glass is opaque at eye level, allowing natural light but stopping the noise and commotion of the street at the entrance.

The restaurant's walls, tables and fixtures are in dark, muted colors, giving diners a sense of privacy. Our table was an awkward arrangement, where three diners sat on a booth and one in a chair, giving an uncomfortable and almost business-like feel to the otherwise intimate seating.

For dinner, Tazza offers a "Theater Menu" — similar to a prix fixe option — where diners can order one of two appetizers, entrees, desserts and a glass of wine, all prepared quickly to allow diners to make their show. The menu features some dishes from Tazza's regular offerings, which showcase seasonal ingredients and reflect the taste of the restaurant itself.

One salad on the regular menu contains fingerling potatoes, green beans and onions in a boat-shaped dish. The greens were well paired with the vegetables, though the onions came off strong. The potato salad was just right for an appetizer, and had the option of adding meat to strengthen the dish.

A small but perfectly cooked flank steak was featured on the theater menu. Like the salad, the steak was the perfect size for a three-course dinner — filling but not overindulgent. Presented in thin slices drenched in seasoned butter, the steak complemented the featured red wine, a Hob Nob pinot noir with a cherry and oak aftertaste.

Though the entrees took a long time to prepare, the delay was worth it. The attentive staff was quick to offer complimentary glasses of wine to ensure the wait was not irksome.

The wine list was excellent, featuring some well-known, inexpensive favorites and some exciting, pricier options, perfect for students and locals alike. Parents with an adventurous taste in cocktails would enjoy treating students to a drink.

For dessert, the theater menu offered an exquisite and minute slice of pumpkin cheesecake, complete with pumpkin seeds and a caramel drizzle. The cake, now a seasonal favorite, did not last long at our table. As we finished our meal and prepared for the cold, a tiny cup of house-made espresso emphasized the restaurant's dual strength as both a dinner and daytime eatery for food lovers of all tastes.