Occupiers spend final night in Burnside Park

Sunday afternoon was bittersweet for members of Occupy Providence as they packed up their tents and bid goodbye to Burnside Park, vowing to continue their activism.

"The park was important for us to form a community," said protester Jacob Brennan. "When we first started, I had no idea who these people were, and now they're some of my closest friends."   

Under a deal with the city finalized Jan. 23, the movement ended its overnight encampment in exchange for a day center for the city's homeless. The Occupy protesters spent Saturday celebrating their accomplishments and anticipating future actions. Protesters created art, gave speeches, organized a march around the city and ended the day with a dance party in the park that lasted until 3 a.m.

One protester, who identified herself as Artemis Moonhawk, said the final night in the park was bittersweet. "There were a lot of hugs and a lot of tears (Saturday) night," she said. In the past, Occupiers have given Herald reporters aliases to conceal their identities.

Protesters vowed to leave the park in good condition. The movement has donors who plan to reseed the ground once the weather becomes warmer, Moonhawk said.

While many of the protesters described the deal with the city as a victory, not everyone agreed with the decision to leave Burnside Park.

Meleiny McDonough, a protester, said he did not agree with the deal but felt obligated to vote for the measure. He had been prepared to stay in the park "indefinitely," he added.

Protester Floyd Waters said he believed the agreement was an unnecessary sacrifice, explaining that there are already many homeless shelters in the city, and one more is not necessary.  

But protesters generally viewed the day center agreement as a victory. "It represents an actual, physical accomplishment for some of the most disadvantaged in the state," Brennan said.

Many said the movement is ready to address concerns in the state like taxation, foreclosures and budgetary concerns.

"This is going to liberate us to branch out in Rhode Island," said protester Phile Stein.

Occupy protesters also have plans to apply to the city to officially change the name of Burnside Park to the People's Park.

The movement will continue to occupy the park during the day — including twice-weekly General Assembly meetings — but will vacate at night at least until the spring, Occupiers said. But they added that there are no definite plans to continue the full-time occupation in the future.

"As long as there's crazy injustice going on, there will be Occupy," said protester Ishmael Wiggins.

"You haven't seen the last of us," Moonhawk said.