Google+ became available to Brown Gmail users Jan. 23, adding it to the lineup of Google Apps first made available last July by Computing and Information Services. Google+, a social networking site, test-launched in June but did not become widely available for domain-based users until October. More than 15 million students from other colleges and universities have joined the network since the June launch, a Google spokesperson said.

But the University waited until January to enable the service due to concerns about implementation.

"We try not to make a lot of changes in very close succession if it results in a lot of help desk calls," said Stephanie Obodda, assistant manager for communication and computer education. "We try to space things out a little bit."

University staff deliberated before deciding to make Google+ available, she said.

"We internally investigated what it would mean to turn Google+ on," Obodda said. "We looked at things like the age requirement and privacy, and for us it was an easier decision because of the opt-in system."

The opt-in system allows Gmail users the option to create a public Google+ profile but does not require them to do so.

"By turning it on, everyone on campus has a choice to create a Google+ account," she added. "It gives people the ability if they are interested."

Though no formal requests to add Google+ were filed with CIS, Obodda pointed to "a lot of in-person requests, people asking around campus" for access to the service.

She noted benefits of registering with Google+, including the ability to collaboratively edit Google documents and organize meetings, especially in "inclement weather or across campus."

Despite the new features, student reactions were lukewarm.

"I use Google+, but not like every day," Alpha Diallo '15 said, adding that he mostly uses it to socialize with friends. Diallo said he would not consider using Google+ with his Brown email account.

"I use Facebook. I do have a Twitter, but I'm more on Facebook," Paige Allen '15 said. "I don't really know what (Google+) is, but no one's really explained it to me. I mean, if I knew more about it, I would, but I'm pretty good where I am with my social networks."

For Obodda, the new Google+ profile is another opportunity to edit and share information, from "computing tips" to "feedback from coworkers."

"I like Google+ because each person chooses how much information to receive," she said. "If I put all these tips on Google+, and if people get bored of hearing them, they can put me in a different circle, or if they're interested they can put me in a circle too."

Obodda remains hopeful that the social networking service will be useful to students.

"We're excited to see how it's going to be used on campus," she said.