Editorial: An education for all

State Rep. Doreen Costa, R-Exeter and North Kingstown, introduced a bill Jan. 26 in the Rhode Island General Assembly that would prevent undocumented Rhode Island students from receiving in-state tuition discounts. The legislation is intended to nullify a decision made last fall by the Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education that extended in-state tuition to such students. We strongly oppose Costa's bill not only because she lacks the authority to introduce such legislation in the first place, but also because it is discriminatory and unfair.

Last October, we published an editorial in support of the initial decision. It is our belief that it is the responsibility of American states to educate their citizens, regardless of their immigration status — especially when many undocumented students have lived in Rhode Island for virtually their entire lives. We cannot withhold equal education from residents who were raised here. It is the responsibility of Rhode Island and American communities to treat undocumented residents with compassion and respect. The Board of Governors' measure targeted exactly this class of students by including a provision that only made undocumented students eligible for in-state tuition if they attended a state high school for a minimum of three years and graduated with a high school or equivalent degree.

This past December, Gov. Lincoln Chafee '75 P'14, who most recently sparred with Costa over the issue of calling the Rhode Island State House tree a "holiday tree" instead of a "Christmas tree," defended the Board of Governors' decision in the weeks after it was released. Chafee argued that tuition decisions are the responsibility of the Board of Governors rather than of the General Assembly and said that, despite a lack of employment opportunities for illegal immigrants, the cuts were "an incentive to finish high school if you know you might get in-state tuition. Ultimately, I am sure many of these undocumented students will become citizens somehow.''

Historically, the Board of Governors — not the legislature — has had authority over higher education funding and policy. Yet Costa's bill would usurp this authority, putting it in the hands of a politicized legislature.

Further, in keeping with our theme from Monday's editorial about higher education costs, extending the in-state discount makes economic sense. It is imperative for Rhode Island's and the United States' long-term economic success to incentivize, not dissuade, citizens to attend college.

Costa rightly claims that many Rhode Island residents have opposed the board's decision and that her own bill has support from all over the political spectrum. But the popular thing to do is not necessarily the right thing to do. Political discontent is no excuse for violating proper procedure. The decisions concerning such funding lie with the board. Nor is it an excuse to deny any Rhode Island high school student the opportunity for upward mobility that a college education provides. We hope that cooler heads prevail and that Costa's legislation does not go any further than it already has.

Editorials are written by The Herald's editorial page board. Send comments to editorials@browndailyherald.com.