Editorial: Stop railing on the system

More than $5 billion in debt and $161 million in annual deficit. Though these figures may remind us of Rhode Island's fiscal woes, they are actually the financial burdens on the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. As extensively covered by The Herald, the MBTA recently presented proposals to significantly raise fares by at least 35 percent and cut certain services, including all weekend commuter rails. Due to widespread backlash against the proposals, the MBTA Advisory Board has recently moderated them to include a 25 percent fare increase, which barely ameliorates the proposed cuts in services. We believe these modified proposals, though imperfect, are sufficient — and given the dire financial realities, we urge the T and the general public to accept them.

It is very reasonable to object to a steep hike in public service fees, like this 25 percent increase. According to Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act, "access to affordable public transportation… is a fundamental social equity issue." Speaking from a purely economic level, though, these raises make sense — the MBTA would gain about $75 million in fare revenue, and net operating savings would increase by $100 million. In addition, blunt as it sounds, demand for these services is highly inelastic. Many riders have a great need for these services and will continue to use and pay for them regardless of the price increase. Twenty-five percent is less harsh than a 35, or even 43 percent, increase for the riders. Furthermore, the MBTA would still benefit, providing the most efficient solution for both parties.

We also support a stipulation in the most recently altered proposal that includes a "50 percent surcharge on tickets to major sporting events and concerts." Fans who shell out hundreds, even thousands, of dollars for a single Red Sox game typically have thick enough wallets to hand over a few extra bucks. If enforced properly, this surcharge should raise substantial fare revenue, since all Boston athletic events and concerts tend to be in constant demand. In this vein, we would also propose that the MBTA consider raising prices higher on the weekends more so than the weekdays, given that many need the transportation system to commute. 

At the same time, the MBTA could do something about losing revenue through senseless lack of procedure. One editorial page board member was quite surprised when he was never checked on the train for having a ticket. Though he had purchased one, the lack of vigilance by the workers suggest that many riders can take advantage of lax procedures. This problem may be attributed to worker reductions, and hence, lack of constant enforcement. That said, we wonder how much money the MBTA has lost to these "free riders."

The MBTA is a crucial service that must remain running for the direct and indirect benefit of millions. Though its proposals for fare hikes and service cuts may seem severe to many, it is necessary for us to understand that better alternatives, for the benefit of both MBTA and its riders, are few and far between.

Editorials are written by The Herald's editorial page board. Send comments to editorials@browndailyherald.com.