Candidates featured in next week's Rhode Island primary

Mitt Romney

the businessman and former Massachusetts governor, currently holds the lead in the Republican primary with 684 delegates. He touts his experience in the private sector - he co-founded Bain Capital, a highly-profitable private equity firm - as the basis for his campaign's focus on creating jobs and jump-starting the economy. Romney is considered to be moderate on social issues such as abortion and gay rights, but he has been criticized for changing his positions during the primary race to appeal to more conservative voters. Romney has also been criticized by fellow Republicans for championing health care reform as Massachusetts' governor that included policies similar to aspects of President Obama's signature health care legislation, which Romney has promised to repeal as president.

Newt Gingrich

former speaker of the House of Representatives, is in a distant second out of candidates still in the Republican race, with 136 delegates. Gingrich was part of the 1994 resurgence of Republicans in Congress where he famously promoted the conservative agenda through his Contract with America, a document that consolidated the party's priorities regarding social issues and the scope of government. He has promised to balance the federal budget through deep spending cuts but also plans to cut taxes.

Rick Santorum 

has won 267 delegates, but he suspended his campaign April 10. He is particularly conservative on social issues and has been criticized for his extreme views on abortion and contraception, including outlawing abortion even in the case of rape and cutting federal funding for Planned Parenthood. Santorum has also spoken out in defense of traditional marriage and has stated his desire to make same-sex marriage illegal. 

Ron Paul

has won 55 delegates. His libertarian platform focuses on decreasing the role of federal government. Some of these positions - such as his plans to end the war on drugs and return to the gold standard - have received mixed reviews. He also opposes federal jurisdiction over marriage, meaning that unlike other Republican candidates, he does not support a federal ban on same-sex marriage.

Buddy Roemer 

is listed as a Republican on the Rhode Island primary ballot, but he is currently running as an independent, seeking nomination from the Americans Elect Party or the Reform Party. Roemer began his campaign as a Republican, but he was not invited to participate in the Republican debates early in the race. Roemer has stated that he wants to fight corruption in government and has refused to accept contributions in excess of $100.

Barack Obama

is unopposed for the Democratic Party's nomination. During his first term, he passed an economic stimulus plan, passed healthcare reform legislation, oversaw the killing of Osama bin Laden and implemented the withdrawal of combat troops from Afghanistan. He has also been criticized for not fulfilling promises made during his 2008 campaign to revive the ailing economy.

­-Mariya Bashkatova