Candidates discuss jobs, abortion in last debate

With only four days remaining before the Democratic primary in Rhode Island's first district, candidates Anthony Gemma and Christopher Young participated in a debate against incumbent Rep. David Cicilline '83 on NBC Channel 10 last night. Though it was the last of three debates this season for Cicilline and Gemma, Thursday's event was Young's first appearance in a congressional debate this election year. 

Covering questions on student loans, healthcare, abortion, the state economy, Israel and Medicare, moderator Gene Valicenti experienced difficulties regulating candidates' response times. Young in particular was warned many times to limit his remarks. He often strayed off-topic, accusing Cicilline of rigging elections on multiple occasions, emphasizing the importance of religion to government and calling Gemma a "murderer" for his pro-choice stance on abortion. 

When asked about his accusations against Cicilline of voter fraud, Gemma said he has concrete evidence supporting his claims, but plans to focus on the issues voters care about for the remainder of his campaign. Touting his "jobs plan," Gemma promised to bring 10,000 jobs over the next five years to Rhode Island if elected.

Cicilline spent the majority of the night on the defensive, disputing attacks from his opponents on his lack of character and alleged lackluster record.

"Cicilline won the debate only insofar as he maintained his composure and took every opportunity to talk about ...  what he has done in office," wrote Wendy Schiller, professor of political science, in an email to The Herald.

The Brendan Doherty campaign for Congress declined to comment on the debate.