Cicilline '83 campaign accused of voter fraud

Congressional candidate Anthony Gemma, who is running as a Democrat in the state's first district, announced last week that an investigation initiated by his campaign has conclusive evidence that Rep. David Cicilline '83, D-R.I., and his staff committed voter fraud in a series of elections dating back to 2002. Cicilline has dismissed the accusations as "baseless" and "false."

"There's a significant and deep-rooted problem that has been around for years," Gemma told The Herald. Gemma hired TRP Associates, LLC, a private investigation firm operated by former state police officers, to lead the investigation after many South Providence residents approached him with the accusations while he was campaigning in the area earlier this year, he said.

Gemma said that while rumors about the prevalence of voter fraud have circulated for years, the activity "is happening at such an egregious level now that it needs to be dealt with."

"We have serious issues to discuss in the campaign, and what voters have a right to expect is a serious discussion of the issues and their ideas," Cicilline told The Herald. "I've never seen a more reckless and irresponsible action in a political campaign in my lifetime."

Cicilline is leading by more than 10 points in the most recent poll, conducted by WPRI in late August.

As the investigation progressed, Gemma said TRP collected evidence that suggested voter fraud allegations would extend beyond Cicilline and his staff. He said he has alerted the U.S. Attorney's office to its findings.

FBI and state police are now exploring the investigation, which includes hours of video, audio, photographs and other documentation, Gemma added. TRP refused to comment on the investigation, and no evidence has been released to the public.

Gemma released details of his accusations at a highly-publicized press conference Aug. 21. 

The accusations are likely an attempt to gain attention before the Sept. 11 primary, said Associate Professor of Political Science Wendy Schiller. 

Gemma has said he would never "put his integrity on the line ... for a political gimmick." He added that he will continue to personally fund the TRP investigation, even though he will not be able to use any forthcoming evidence in his campaign.

"I will continue to fight until these wrongdoers are brought to justice," he said.

Thus far, the Gemma campaign has only released affidavits from anonymous sources who either witnessed or were involved with voter fraud in connection to a Cicilline campaign.

"These are very serious accusations to lodge against anyone running for office," Schiller said. "To make this announcement and not produce any of the people ... showed a disregard for the legal system."

Brendan Doherty, the likely Republican nominee to run for the seat in the general election, said in an Aug. 22 statement that he was "greatly troubled" by the accusations because "fair and free elections are the cornerstone of the democratic process in America, and there is nothing more important than protecting their integrity."

A recent WPRI online poll shows that 67.1 percent of voters said Gemma's "announcement on voter fraud was not the game-changing event he promised." 

"It has not thus far proven to be helpful to him in generating support," Schiller said.

- With additonal reporting by Adam Toobin