Hannah Camhi '16 wins Gold Flight Crown

Making the jump from high school to college can be difficult for many first-year students. For athletes, that transition is complicated by the addition of hours of practice and travel to away games to an already full schedule of classes and social commitments.

As a member of the women's tennis team, Hannah Camhi '16 knows these difficulties firsthand. But she has taken them in stride as her first season has gotten underway. In the team's season opener at home, Camhi went 3-0 in singles to capture the Gold Flight Crown, and, alongside Misia Krasowski '13, went 4-0 in doubles to win the doubles main draw. After such an explosive start, Camhi will face great expectations on the court as the season continues.

Because of her stellar play in her first collegiate match, Camhi has been named The Herald's Athlete of the Week.

Herald: How did you first get involved in tennis?

Camhi: My parents met playing tennis, so we've always been a big tennis family, and I picked it up when I was younger.

How is the level of competition at Brown different than high school?

There's a different feel in the matches. It's not so much that you're competing against an opponent - it's like you're competing for your team a little bit more.

How well have you gotten to know your teammates so far?

Really well. We're a small team, so we get to know each other and hang out a lot.

What made you pick Brown?

I felt very comfortable on the campus. I really liked the academic setup and the people here.

Where else were you looking?

Dartmouth and Columbia.

Is it going to be tough playing against those schools you were looking at?

Yeah, definitely.

What's been the hardest part of the transition to college - the academic, athletic or social aspect?

It's just been being able to integrate all three and balance them. I'm not struggling socially, academically, or athletically, but when combined I think I've found that good balance.

Do you have any idea what you're going to concentrate in yet?

Nope. Definitely not.

What was it like getting to open the season at home?

I found it to be very nice. It was comforting being somewhere I knew and I had played before.

How did your performance compare to your expectations?

It was definitely better than I was expecting. I was expecting that I'd be a little bit nervous, and play tighter and more conservative.

What's been the biggest thing you've learned about tennis since coming to Brown?

That when I go on the court, whatever was going on in my day before that doesn't matter. It's three hours out of my day that I just get to compete and have fun.