Joseph Calo, adjunct professor of chemical engineering, was recently distinguished as a fellow of the American Chemical Society for his research in the field of energy, fuels and the environment. He was one of 96 members welcomed as an ACS Fellow this past August at the Society's convention in Philadelphia.

"Members are selected based on two requirements: their accomplishments in research and service to society," Calo said. The society bestowed the honor on Calo in recognition of his overall research contributions to the field, but the award does not reflect any one of his specific projects. His contributions include research in chemical kinetics, environmental remediation and energy conversion, according to the ACS website.

Most professors in the engineering department are involved in a professional society of some sort, said Lawrence Larson, dean of the school of engineering. "These societies are absolutely key vehicles in international research and collaboration," he added.

"It's definitely not the Nobel Peace Prize - all you get is a pin and a certificate," Calo said. 

The Fellows Program was created in 2008 "to recognize members for outstanding achievements in and contributions to science, the profession and the society," according to the ACS website. Fellows must first be nominated and then chosen by the ACS selection committee. 

The award also recognizes Calo for being among the founders of Brown's Chemical Engineering Program. 

"Professor Calo has been incredibly productive," Larson said, "and greatly valuable to our engineering department at Brown."