CDC survey shows highest rates of immunization in R.I.

The National Immunization Survey, conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, recently recognized Rhode Island for having one of the highest rates of child immunization in the country. The state places highest for immunizing children aged 19-35 months with the measles-mumps-rubella vaccine, which covers 96.6 percent of the sample size, and Haemophilus influenzae type B, covering 97.3 percent.
Polio vaccination rates in the state were third in the nation, at 97.4 percent. The Ocean State also had one of the highest percentages for the Hepatitis B, Varicella and Pneumococcal conjugate vaccinations. Hib immunizations trended upwards from 2010 by over 10 percent.
The survey tested a total sample size of approximately 30,000 children, which was quantified with a 95 percent confidence interval. Data was collected from random households across the state in the form of telephone inquiries to landlines and was extended to include mobile phones, a change from previous years. The Rhode Island Department of Health website states that the health care "providers are then contacted by mail to verify each child's vaccinations."
The new survey style achieved better coverage and a more objective demographic, as well as results that are more accurate than previous years, according to the CDC website. The same survey also covered adolescents between the ages of 13 and 17 years, with Rhode Island claiming the top spot for Human Papillomavirus vaccination rates, at 76.1 percent for one or more doses in females.
Immunization statistics for children living below the poverty line in Rhode Island were also high, at 98.1 percent for measles-mumps-rubella, and 98.3 percent for Hib. Vaccinations are provided to physicians by the state, and are administered free of charge to children 19 years and younger, according to the Department of Health's website.
The Flu Immunization Campaign, launched Oct. 1, promoted healthy immunization practices by having Rhode Island first lady and qualified nurse Stephanie Chafee P'14 administer the inaugural flu shot to Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I.