Editorial: A matter of life and death

More than two years have passed since Jason Pleau allegedly shot and killed David Main in Woonsocket, R.I. Rhode Islanders remain divided as Pleau's case appears to drag on indefinitely. While many are now tired of reading about him in the papers, Pleau's case is an important and unique scenario that puts the issue of civil rights to the test. We believe Pleau's case remains important because it pertains to matters of moral sensitivity, as well as states' rights. 

Pleau has been back and forth between state and federal custody. By being in state custody, Pleau would effectively escape the death penalty, while presumably serving a life sentence. Meanwhile, if he were subject to federal jurisdiction, as he is now, he would most likely be sentenced to the death penalty. 

Gov. Lincoln Chafee '75 P'14 P'16, a fierce opponent of the death penalty, made the controversial decision to petition the U.S. Supreme Court for Pleau's return to state custody. While we certainly understand the frustration many Rhode Islanders may have with the entire ordeal, we also commend Chafee for his attempts to position Rhode Island as a state that has the jurisdiction to exercise its distinct rights and values.

There are plenty of reasons to be unhappy with Rhode Island government. During these two years, Rhode Island officials have been in the limelight for their fiscal mismanagement and unpopular policy decisions, including the voter identification law, cost-of-living adjustment freezes, Providence's near-bankruptcy and pink slips. Things do seem to be on the turnaround - Central Falls, the only Rhode Island city to file for bankruptcy, appears to be set on the path to recovery, and the state ended the fiscal year with a pleasant surplus of $115 million. But the state government is not even close to gaining widespread public approval. 

We believe Chafee's appeal to the Supreme Court to bring back Jason Pleau to state custody is necessary and significant. Yes, Pleau has already admitted his guilt. But this is not a case of whether Pleau deserves conviction, be it through execution or life sentence. There is really no question that he is a criminal who cannot in good conscience be allowed to escape severe consequences. 

The heart of the matter is that Chafee is doing what he truly believes is in the best interest of Rhode Island. He is not letting the federal government interfere with what states have the right to control. Chafee is taking responsibility for the fact that Pleau is a Rhode Island citizen, and Rhode Islanders do not and will not have capital punishment enforced by federal jurisdiction.

We are not suggesting that Rhode Island's stance against the death penalty is either wrong or right. We also realize that the governor could be engaged in more pragmatic and concrete matters that could affect thousands of Rhode Islanders rather than one guilty one. But we judge the legacy and attributes of politicians based not only on their achievements in office, but also on whether these achievements aligned with their duties of representing their constituents. 

Chafee, through his action of appealing to the Supreme Court, made a controversial but ultimately correct call. Regardless of what happens to Jason Pleau, Chafee's unwavering dedication to his state should set the precedent for all current and future politicians. 

Editorials are written by The Herald's editorial page board. Send comments to editorials@browndailyherald.com.