Ingber '15: Is the United States the greatest country on earth?

Some people point to the United States' relatively poor education rankings to suggest that it is not the greatest country in the world. Others focus on the staggering rates of obesity and lifestyle-induced conditions that run rampant among Americans. Opponents might also use areas such as fiscal policy and environmental protection as talking points. But surely the barometer to determine the "greatest country in the world" has to be more nuanced and qualitative than education statistics or the amount of the budget allocated to defense spending.

America's greatness, and what many people refer to as American exceptionalism, lies in our Constitution. The U.S. Constitution is the most comprehensive political document ever to guide the governance of a country. While it goes without saying that being a liberal democracy should be a prerequisite for consideration of "greatest country in the world," the Constitution distinguishes America from its democratic counterparts around the world.

First and foremost, the Constitution creates a civic nationalism unparalleled by any other country in the world. While European countries sometimes rely on ethnicity and religion as the basis for nationalism, Americans find pride in ideals such as separation of powers, checks and balances, rugged individualism and free speech. The ethnically charged nationalism, which is the norm among European democracies, creates internal tension that culminates in multiculturalism and marginalization of certain groups, as well as violence like the world witnessed in Yugoslavia. I am not suggesting a lack of internal strife in the United States, but differences here are usually policy-based and are assuaged by the common identity forged by the Constitution.

Secondly, through the amendment process, the Constitution creates a framework for change that ensures its relevance. The arduous process frustrates many, but the authors of the Constitution designed this procedure so that the nation can be protected from emotional whims. And for those who say that the Constitution perpetuated slavery and the political subjugation of women, I agree - but that very same document proved flexible enough to be self-corrected.

Despite the brevity of my argument, I have intentionally chosen not to address certain policy areas such as tax structure, foreign policy or immigration laws. These arenas change from administration to administration, laws are constantly repealed and enacted and government structures cycle between efficient and ineffective. Those who disagree with me will often point to the shortcomings of American policy. But a bad policy can be replaced by a new politician - this is the very essence of democracy. The right to criticize specific policies, so deeply valued and fostered by the Constitution and the first amendment, does not derail America's position at the top but actually underpins America's status as the greatest country in the world.

Zach Ingber '15 wants YOU - to send your thoughts to
zachary_ingber@brown.edu.