Editorial: Praise for storm services

Winter Storm Nemo made a forceful appearance Friday, blanketing more than 13 states from Wisconsin to Maine with knee-height snow. While much of the student body greeted the blizzard with joy by engaging in snowball fights on the Main Green and sledding down College Hill on Sharpe Refectory trays, other key players in the Brown community were engaged in more serious, logistical manners. Through its apt precautions and efficient response to Nemo’s tour of the city, the University prioritized the safety and well-being of its students and faculty over limiting cost and inconvenience. For that, the Editorial Page Board commends the University, along with its entire staff, for its active commitment to protecting the community.

As we walked down Thayer Street this weekend, we came face-to-face with an apocalyptic vision. The street was bereft of cars other than those left by their owners to be buried in the storm. Restaurants and stores — except for, notably, Antonio’s Pizza, Kabob and Curry and Au Bon Pain — closed up shop for the weekend. But students were welcomed to flock to the warmth and comfort of the Ratty, where a smiling worker welcomed those both on and off meal plan. The dining hall also extended its hours until 9 p.m. Friday, a tremendous and stressful sacrifice made by all its workers. For this, we want to thank the Brown Dining Services staff for its service and steadfastness in the face of adversity.

In addition to ensuring students did not go hungry, the University also deserves recognition for its response to the power outage that affected the north end of campus. According to a community-wide email sent by Russell Carey ’91 MA’06, executive vice president for planning and policy, the University opened up Andrews Dining Hall for temporary residency to serve those whose homes lost power. While not all of those without power chose to exercise this option, it is laudable that the University took the initiative to provide shelter for the students affected.

According to Carey’s email, the Department of Public Safety and Emergency Medical Services were also available for 24-hours, despite roads posing clear risks to those who dared the travail. Although the Department of Facilities Management has done a tremendous job in its attempts to clear the roads, many still reported having difficulty distinguishing roads from sidewalks. In that light, we credit not only DPS, but also students, for exercising the highest degrees of prudence and caution this weekend. The University’s efforts this weekend in maintaining campus safety and students’ conscious efforts to conduct themselves safely created a successful relationship that deserves recognition.

We must remember the services the University offered this weekend shouldn’t be seen as an essential right students have, regardless of conditions. Rather, we are thankful for the privilege provided by the University for us to remain well-fed, warm and safe. As the University returns to its normal schedule this week, it should also be aware that there are many students and faculty who are greatly appreciative of its efforts. Even though the events of the weekend will eventually become memories of the past, we are fortunate to be able to reminisce not in sorrow, fear or frustration — but in gratitude and mirth.

Editorials are written by The Herald’s editorial page board: its editor, Dan Jeon, and its members, Mintaka Angell, Samuel Choi, Nicholas Morley and Rachel Occhiogrosso. Send comments to editorials@browndailyherald.com.