Stefanovic earns fourth consecutive All-American honor

The anchor scored 117 goals last season and 366 during his record-setting collegiate career

When not in the classroom, he has spent his time in the pool scoring goals and accumulating awards — ending his career as one of the most decorated athletes in Brown’s history.

Svetozar Stefanovic ’13 became Brown’s first four-time All-American selection this past week after being selected to the All-American third team by the Association of Collegiate Water Polo Coaches. Stefanovic ended his water polo career for the Bears as the program’s career scoring leader with 366 goals and the highest single season scorer after netting 117 goals this fall. Stefanovic has also claimed Northern Division Player of the Year four consecutive times. For his history of success, The Herald has selected Stefanovic as Athlete of the Week.

The Herald: How did you first get involved with playing water polo?

Stefanovic: When I was young, I used to play basketball and then I started going to the pool with my parents. It was like from the movies, one of the coaches came up to my parents and that’s where it all began.

How was it to finally have home games during your final season?

From the very first game we had support — it made us play really well. We only lost one home game out of so many games. It’s such an advantage to be able to play at home.

Playing the anchor position, how did you handle being the focus of every opponent’s defense?

You learn to play like that growing up. My position always brings the most attention from the defense, but it’s good to have the honor to attract that attention to free up your teammates.

What is the meaning of the tattoo on your shoulder?

I have an anchor tattoo. The meaning of it ... in Serbian means the position I play in water polo.

Looking back on your career at Brown, can you say you had a favorite moment as part of the team?

I can’t distinguish a single moment. Every single moment was just outstanding and the best moments of my life. I’m pretty sad it’s over, but apart from winning games and championships, every moment we had together was special.

What does it mean to you that you’re the first four-time All-American at Brown?

It’s just an honor and a privilege to help raise the level of athletics at our university and I’m happy to represent the University in the best light. I think it’s an achievement of the entire team because I only received that recognition because we had one of the best seasons in Brown Water Polo history.

Who are you most looking forward to see perform at Spring Weekend?

Kendrick Lamar.