Track teams look to outdoor season with high expectations

The teams will amp up their training after ending their indoor seasons at HEPS

This spring break, the men and women of track and field will be busy preparing for the start of their outdoor season at the end of March.

After the men took fourth and the women placed eighth at the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships at Harvard in late February, both teams have been eagerly anticipating the outdoor season.

“I think the outdoor events generally fit our team much better,” said co-captain Kenny Thompson ’13, “and we’re ready to see improvements from some of the younger athletes looking to score for the first time.”“Last outdoor season was a great stepping stone. We really came together as a team and started putting together some really consistent performances,”  said Tess Plant-Thomas ’13. “But I felt that we ended the season with a lot of untapped potential.”

While three members of the men’s team competed at the Alex Wilson Invitational held at Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind., the rest of the team has been using their short break to continue training.

“The weeks leading up to the start of the outdoor season are really fun because we get to really attack our training more aggressively than when we’re in season,” Thompson said. “Everyone has areas they know they need to improve on, and there’s definitely an additional sense of urgency.”

The Bears have high expectations for the outdoor season, and the women especially are hoping to have standout performances.

“I think the team will be hungry for redemption, given our unsatisfying performance at the indoor conference,” Plant-Thomas said. “We’ve been working on changing our mentality — believing in our potential and staying hungry.”

Bruno will compete at the Texas Relays in Austin, Texas starting March 27.