Women's lacrosse team comes up short against Tigers

In its first loss of the season, the Bears won the draw 18-12

The women’s lacrosse team lost its first game of the season, 18-11, Saturday at Princeton against the Tigers. Though Bruno had five different players contribute goals, Princeton still managed to best the Bears.

Princeton (3-1, Ivy League 1-0) came out strong, winning the draw and scoring the first goal less than a minute into the game. Co-captain Lindsay Minges ’13 responded with a three-goal streak for the Bears (3-1, 1-1) about 20 minutes into the first half, with goals to follow by co-captain Tara Rooke ’13 and Abby Bunting ’15, who ended up contributing three goals in total.

“The frustrating thing about the Princeton game was that it was a much closer game than the score lets on,” Bunting said. “I thought our team played really well and made some really good connections for the majority of the game.”

Co-captain Bre Hudgins ’14 scored her first of four goals, the most of any player in the match, in the first half before Princeton answered the Bears’ attack with a four-goal run. Minges halted the Princeton offensive push with a goal seven minutes before halftime to end the period 10-5.

Princeton never surrendered the lead in the second half, at one point opening up a nine-goal lead.

On the defensive end, Kellie Roddy ’15 recorded six saves in goal for the Bears, while Alyssa DiBona ’15 added three ground balls and Bunting captured another three.

“The Princeton game definitely didn’t turn out the way we had hoped, but it was beneficial in that it exposed some changes that we are able to adjust early in the season,” said defender Erin Roos ’14. “This game doesn’t define our season. If anything it’s going to fuel us more in our upcoming games.”

The loss came despite Bruno beating the Tigers on the draw 18-12, a statistic which highlights Bruno’s offensive potential. Grace Healey ’14 won six of the draws and Roos earned three.

“Even though we respect Princeton’s lacrosse program, in this particular game we beat ourselves,” Roos said. “We have an unbelievable amount of talent and great team chemistry, and we need to channel that in our upcoming games.”

The squad will return to Stevenson Field to take on Holy Cross (4-3) March 12 at 4 p.m. During the two teams’ last duel, the Crusaders came out on top 11-10.

“I think we are all really excited to play Holy Cross tomorrow given how the game went last year,” Bunting said. “We were up by five and ended up losing ... We just need to come out strong and not let up.”