Women’s soccer team splits opening weekend games

Pincince said he views non-conference games as a chance to ‘grow and learn’ as a team

The women’s soccer team finished its opening weekend with a 1-1 record, defeating Quinnipiac University Friday night but falling to St. John’s University Sunday.

Early goal seals the deal at Quinnipiac

The squad traveled to Hamden, Conn. for its season opener last Friday, defeating Quinnipiac (0-3-1) 1-0 at the QU Soccer Field. The win was Brown’s third straight opening-day victory.

Captain and forward Mika Siegelman ’14 scored 12 minutes, 14 seconds into the game off an assist from Chloe Cross ’15.

“We had a strong opener,” said Head Coach Phil Pincince. “We had nice defense and benefited from scoring early.”

The Bears shut out the Bobcats with a combined effort from keepers Amber Bledsoe ’14 and Mary Catherine Barrett ’14. Bledsoe was credited with one save.

Bruno struggles against undefeated Red Storm

St. John’s (6-0) spoiled Brown’s home opener Sunday afternoon, defeating the Bears 4-0 on Stevenson Field.

“I don’t think we brought the intensity level we needed to bring from the get-go,” Pincince said. “We were excited to play, but when you’re playing a team that’s undefeated you have to match their intensity level.”

The squad fell behind after Rachel Daly, a sophomore forward from St. John’s, was awarded a penalty kick 36 seconds into the match, which she sent flying into the net over Bledsoe’s right shoulder.

The Bears only attempted two shots in the entire first half, compared to the Red Storm’s 10.

Bruno made some impressive defensive stops, with Bledsoe recording four saves in her one half of playing time.

Daly scored again just before the 30-minute mark, and St. John’s midfielder Deanna Murino gave the Red Storm a 3-0 lead with a goal seven seconds before the end of the first half.

In the second half, Brown squeezed off five shots, but all were deflected by Red Storm goalie Diana Poulin. In a near miss, MacKenzie Kligmann ’16 saw a potential header batted away inches from the goal post in the 65th minute.

Barrett served as goalie for the second half, allowing only one goal when Daly completed a hat trick in the 77th minute.

Siegelman said the team is using non-conference games as a chance to “make mistakes and learn.”

“We have a lot of talented players on the team and need to get used to playing with each other,” Siegelman said. “We want to come to the Ivy League games prepared. Those are the big games. These (games) are really preparation.”

Pincince agreed that the squad was using the non-conference games to “move forward as a team.”

“Our goal is to grow and learn,” Pincince said. “This year our non-conference schedule is a little tougher than last year, and we’re using that opportunity to learn about our individual players.”

For her next contest, Bruno will host Northeastern University (0-4-2) Thursday night.