Athlete of the Week: Angus ’17 secures big upset over nationally ranked Louisville

Angus’ goal resulted in Bruno’s first victory against a nationally ranked team in 20 years

Katarina Angus ’17 scored the game-winning goal for the women’s field hockey in overtime Sunday against No. 14 Louisville University. Angus’ late goal secured the Bears’ first victory against a nationally ranked opponent in over nine years, the last being against No. 20 Harvard in 2005.

Angus, born in British Columbia, had scored one goal in her first 10 games playing for Bruno as a defender.

For her decisiveness in capturing a historical win for women’s field hockey, Angus has been chosen as The Herald’s Athlete of the Week.

Herald: When did you first start playing field hockey?

Angus: I started when I was 6 years old. I played with a bunch of friends — it was something we did for fun. I guess it was something I really grew to love.

What is your most memorable moment while playing?

Probably this past summer. I was on a BC provincial team and we won the (U-18 Canadian National Championship). And also just being part of this team, I’ve had so many amazing moments … especially last weekend. Scoring a game-winning goal against Louisville is something I’ll probably never forget.

What’s the feeling of scoring the game-winning goal in such an intense match?

It’s just really awesome because in that moment you realize all your hard work has really paid off. It was a really great win for the team, and I’m just happy I could have executed on the goal.

Does anything special go through your mind before you take that shot?

I was just hoping to get a decent shot on net, and right afterwards, I just remember getting pounced on by all my teammates and it was like a big dog pile, which is really cool.

So far, how have you balanced school and sport?

It was hard to start, especially coming to Brown — it’s a new school and everything. I think I’ve gotten a lot better. It’s just trying to find the right balance between getting good grades and studying for school and then field hockey. … I think you just have to stay on top of everything. It’s worked for me so far, and I think I’m getting better.

What do you most like about Brown?

I love everything — it’s really started to feel like home for me. The team is amazing, and so are the coaches, and I love all my classes, so it’s really helped.

Do you have any pregame superstitions or rituals?

Not really, no. Pregame I just kind of listen to music a lot and hang out in the locker room. Our team does like a really strange version of volleyball in the locker room before we go out and play, and that gets everyone pumped up. But that’s about it.

What are your goals for the rest of the year?

This season is just finish off strong, and hopefully end with a winning record this season. Other than that just make the most out of my freshman year here and just enjoy Brown.