Men's soccer down Terriors, prep for Ivy competitors

Gorab, Pomeroy and Escalona combined forces to help Bruno to its second straight victory

The men’s soccer team topped Boston University 3-1 on the Terriers’ home turf Tuesday night. Three different players scored in the first half of the contest to propel the Bears to an early lead that the Terriers could not keep up with.

“Tuesday night the guys played with excellent intensity and focus,” said Head Coach Patrick Laughlin. “Anytime we score three goals in a game … let alone in the first half … it is very good for us.”

“BU is a strong attacking team who has a lot of quality players and they were a good out-of-conference test for us so we are happy to come out with a win,” said goalkeeper Josh Weiner ’14.

Jack Gorab ’16 put the Bears (3-4-1) on the board two minutes into the game, after he headed in a pass from midfielder Jack Kuntz ’14.  BU (3-5-1) was quick to respond to Bruno’s rapid advance, as Dominique Badji had a breakaway down the left from midfield to even the score four minutes later.

The Bears regained the lead following a play in the box by Voltaire Escalona ’14 and Jose Salama ’14. Salama sent a smooth cross into the box and Escalona tapped in a one-timer to give Brown a 2-1 edge.

Nate Pomeroy ’17, who was recently named Ivy League Rookie of the Week, tacked on an insurance goal at the end of the half off of an assist from Tariq Akeel ’16 and Daniel Taylor ’15. At the start of the second half, Boston had the opportunity to net a goal after Badji was tripped in the box and granted a penalty kick. Weiner deftly blocked the shot, keeping the score 3-1.

“Weiner’s penalty kick save was a big momentum shift for us,” Laughlin said, adding that Akeel, midfielder Eduardo Martin ’16 and Weiner really stood out Tuesday night.

The victory extends the Bears’ winning streak to two games, giving them momentum as they kick off conference play Saturday in New York City against Columbia (5-2). Last season, the Bears pulled out a 2-1 home victory over the Lions after a scoreless first half.

“The past two games have been the best soccer we have played yet this season, so I’m excited going into the Ivy League play,” Akeel said.

Saturday will be a tough match for the Bears. Columbia is coming off its fifth straight victory — the team’s longest winning streak since 1995, when the Lions won their final five games of that season.

“Columbia is a strong team on a hot streak right now so we know we are going to have a tough opponent,” Akeel said. “But we really want to go to New York and get a result as we realize how important it is to start off our Ivy schedule with a win.”

The Lions have yielded just one goal over their last four contests. Sophomore goalie Kyle Jackson was named co-Ivy League Player of the Week. Jackson average 4.83 saves per game, ranking him 33rd nationally. Midfielder Peter Najem earned the same honor as Jackson and will be an integral part of the Lions’ offensive push with midfielder Antonio Matarazzo and striker Will Stamatis.

“The challenges will be finding a way to get a win at a tough away field and for a lot of the guys to step up to the pressure of the game,” Akeel said.

After two solid games the Bears are optimistic and focused on the start of conference play.

“We realize that the Ivy League is a completely new season and a large emphasis is put on every game,” Weiner said.

Laughlin added, “It’s when we have to be playing at or near or best in order to get results.”