Explosion hits UC Berkeley

Following an explosion on the University of California at Berkeley campus, officials declared a state of emergency and called for a campus-wide evacuation around 6:40 p.m. Monday.

Dan Mogulof, executive director of public affairs at UC Berkeley, told the Daily Californian four people were injured from the blast, and one of the individuals was treated for minor burn injuries at a hospital.

The university was hit with a power outage earlier in the afternoon, and the explosion occurred as power was being restored to the campus. The explosion may have stemmed from vandalism to an electrical system at the university, Mogulof said. Incidents of vandalism to copper grounding wire in the electrical system were uncovered last week.

Yale looks for ‘poopetrator’

Yale students have recently seen their attempts to do laundry hampered by a ‘poopetrator.’

Students in Saybrook College have frequently found their laundry covered in human feces in past weeks, the Yale Daily News reported. Following an additional incident last week, Yale Police teamed up with Saybrook officials to find the perpetrator, whom students have begun calling the ‘poopetrator,’ the Yale Daily News reported.

“The affected machines have been thoroughly disinfected, and we are actively seeking information about who the perpetrator might be,” Saybrook Master Paul Hudak told the Yale Daily News.

Students have called for increased security in laundry rooms, but in the meantime are resorting to monitoring the machines themselves.

“It’s ruining people’s quality of life,” Yale sophomore Camille Fonseca told the Yale Daily News.

Rumors have circulated that the ‘poopetrator’ has hit Yale’s other residential colleges, but the administration has not confirmed these claims.

Bard overhauls its application process

Bard no longer requires SAT or ACT scores, transcripts or teacher recommendations from prospective students, offering instead the option of writing four 2,500-word research papers.

The 17 prompts range across disciplines, touching on topics as diverse as Confucius and microbes. If Bard professors judge the essays deserving of at least a B+, then the applicant will be accepted.

“It’s kind of declaring war on the whole rigmarole of college admissions and the failure to foreground the curriculum and learning,” Bard President Leon Botstein told the New York Times, calling the overhaul a “return to basics, to common sense.”

This move comes on the heels of an appeal from the National Association for College Admission Counseling to colleges to consider removing standardized tests from the application process because they put certain segments of the population at a disadvantage.