Women's tennis bounces back after opening loss

Underclassmen lead the way as Brown tops Quinnipiac, Albany in Sunday matches

The women’s tennis team fell short in its season opener against Boston College Friday, losing 4-3 to the Eagles (2-0). But on Sunday, the team fought back and beat Quinnipiac 6-1 and the University at Albany, SUNY 7-0.

Bruno’s top two, Dayna Lord ’17 and Hannah Camhi ’16, a Herald sports staff writer, led the Bears (2-1) through the weekend. Lord won all three of her matches, while Camhi won twice Sunday.

“We were excited to get the season going,” Lord said. “We are playing a lot better and improving on all the things we need to be improving on.”

Lord and Ammu Mandalap ’16 recorded each of Bruno’s victories Friday afternoon. Doubles victories from a Lord-Camhi duo and a pairing of Mandalap and Ashley Noyes ’16 gave Bruno a third point, but the Eagles would allow no more: BC took each of the other four singles matches in two sets apiece.

Despite the tough matches and final results, Olivia Hsu ’16 said the team remained “very competitive.”

“We were just trying to get back in the groove of things,” Hsu said, adding that she remains hopeful for the upcoming season. “The team chemistry is really great,” she said.

The Bears found themselves without Hsu Friday due to her injured left wrist.

Friday was a tough match for the Bears due to the team’s youth, Noyes said.

“It came down to a freshman match,” said Noyes, who has been sidelined recently due to a back injury and a concussion suffered last season.

Bruno had much less trouble with Quinnipiac (1-2) the next morning. Five of six Bears won their singles matches, and the doubles pairings from Friday tallied two more victories, leading Bruno over the Bobcats. Both Hsu and Noyes returned to action against Quinnipiac.

Later in the day Sunday, Brown remained strong and swept its second opponent, Albany (1-1), by a score of 7-0.

Noyes said there was improvement since Friday’s matches and that the team’s main goal is to stay focused on the early season.

Lord echoed her teammate’s sentiment.

“We need to stay positive and keep working hard,” she said. “We want to be Ivy League champions.”