Metro Roundup, Sept. 10

Wyatt Detention Facility postpones public board meeting

The public board of directors meeting at Wyatt Detention Facility, originally scheduled for Monday evening, was postponed hours before the event over concerns about the large number of people expected to attend. The date of the rescheduled meeting has not yet been announced.

“In light of the large number of people anticipated, and the need for sufficient time and appropriate safety measures to accommodate members of the public who would like to participate, the Central Falls Detention Facility Corporation is postponing this evening’s public board meeting,”  wrote Wyatt spokesperson Chris Hunter in a press release.

The highly anticipated meeting would have been the first organized Wyatt board meeting since a detention facility officer drove his truck through protesters at the facility Aug. 14 and since Gilbert Delestre, 39, died in custody Aug. 25. The Providence Journal reported that the board canceled its August meeting because the Board could not meet its quorum due to the absence of one of its directors.

Never Again Action Rhode Island, which organized the August activism, had planned another protest to coincide with the Monday board meeting.

T.F. Green to shut down transatlantic connections

This Thanksgiving, students looking to fly across the Atlantic will not be able to take off from Theodore Francis Green International Airport. The only airline that currently conducts transatlantic flights out of Providence’s airport is Norwegian Airlines, but it announced this summer that it will cease its only remaining route — from Providence to Dublin — Sept. 14. Norwegian began flying out of T.F. Green in 2017.

The discontinuation of Norwegian services will leave the Providence airport with a single international destination option: Toronto, with seasonal service through Air Canada.

PVD After Dark Campaign launches to improve city nightlife safety, economy

A new campaign led by Ward 12 City Councilwoman Kat Kerwin and School Board member Travis Escobar intends to address safety concerns following an increase in violence within the Providence nightclub scene.

The announcement of the new campaign comes after a violent summer in Providence. A shooting and two stabbings took place at three different locations in the city in August, and a man was stabbed to death in late June.

PVD After Dark is also focused on economic challenges to nighttime employment. It hopes to simplify the local business licensing system and stimulate the nighttime economy.

The campaign also aims to lobby the General Assembly to repeal a ban on live music in certain Providence neighborhoods.