Women’s lacrosse snaps 3-game winning streak in blowout defeat to No. 6 Stony Brook

Brown goalkeeper Erin Tucker records 11 saves while team surrendered season-high 19 turnovers

<p>Bruno&#x27;s loss ended a three-game winning streak garnered from games against the College of the Holy Cross, Columbia and Central Connecticut University.</p><p>Courtesy of Brown Athletics via David Silverman</p>

Bruno's loss ended a three-game winning streak garnered from games against the College of the Holy Cross, Columbia and Central Connecticut University.

Courtesy of Brown Athletics via David Silverman

The women’s lacrosse team (4-3, 1-0 Ivy League) suffered a tough 15-3 loss Tuesday to No. 6 Stony Brook University (5-2) at Stevenson-Pincince Field. The blowout marked the end of  a three-game winning streak for the Bears after wins against the College of the Holy Cross, Columbia and Central Connecticut University, dominating their last contest by a final score of 22-2.

Brown’s defense effectively held down the Seawolves’ offense in the first period, allowing just two goals. Goalkeeper Erin Tucker ’22 recorded four saves in the quarter en route to an impressive 11-save performance. One save toward the end of the period was particularly dramatic, preventing a goal on a free position shot with one second left on the shot clock.

Bruno’s troubles began at the start of the second period, when Stony Brook, led by strong performances from midfielders Ellie Masera and Kyla Zapolski, surged to a 7-0 lead that proved insurmountable.

“Their attitude is just kind of (to) put it all out there,” Tucker said after the game. “I think we weren’t necessarily ready for (a game) as quick as they were playing.”

Eight different players scored Stony Brook’s 15 goals, with Masera and Zapolski scoring three each.

Brown struggled to maintain possession of the ball offensively throughout the game. The Bears’ 19 turnovers, 11 of which occurred in the first half, were the most they have surrendered in a game this season. Consequently, the Bears also took a season-low 18 shots to the Seawolves’ 40.

Mia Mascone ’24 scored two of the Bears’ three goals, with the other coming from Claire Jeschke ’22.5, who continued her hot streak after scoring six against Central Connecticut in the previous game. Jeschke would have scored a second goal if not for a clutch save by Seawolves goalkeeper Kameron Halsall in the third period.

“They’re a really good team,” Mascone said. “I think our defensive pressure was really great, and we have a lot to learn (from the game).”

“They were fast and physical, and they had a good game plan,” said Bears Head Coach Keely McDonald. “I thought we game-planned well during the week and executed a lot of that on the field.” For their next game, McDonald added, the goal will be the “same thing — game-plan well, and execute a little bit better.”

Brown will look to bounce back Sunday against Dartmouth, their second game of Ivy League play this season.

The team hopes to bring a positive attitude into the game against Dartmouth, Tucker said. “Dartmouth is a great opponent, as (is) every team we’re gonna play this year,” Tucker added, “but that quick snap-to attitude is really gonna help us moving forward — on attack, on defense, all over the field.”

Linus Lawrence

Linus is a sports editor from New York City. He is a junior concentrating in English, and when he's out of The Herald office you can find him rooting for the Mets, watching Star Wars or listening to The Beach Boys.