Field hockey keeps undefeated season alive amid strong weekend for Brown sports

Wins by men’s water polo, men’s soccer cap off weekend slate

<p>With their win against Northeastern University, the field hockey team kept their early-season undefeated streak alive with 4 wins so far.</p>

With their win against Northeastern University, the field hockey team kept their early-season undefeated streak alive with 4 wins so far.

Though not all teams have begun competition, this weekend was a busy one for Brown athletics as the Bears faced a number of tough non-conference foes. Wins by field hockey, men’s soccer and men’s water polo were key contributors toward strong all-around performances by Bruno.  

The field hockey team (4-0) kept its early-season undefeated streak alive, beating Northeastern University (1-4) Sunday by a score of 3-1 to secure their fourth win of the season. Stacey Lukasheva ’25, Katie McCallum ’25 and Lexi Pellegrino ’26 provided Bruno’s three scores. 

Men’s water polo (5-3) picked up a pair of home wins in a Saturday double-header, defeating Long Island University (1-4) 12-4 and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2-5) 15-10. Ilias Stothart ’26 led the Bears’ offense, scoring four goals against LIU and three against MIT. Matt Simko ’22.5 also added four goals against MIT, while Gabe Chang ’25 chipped in three more. 

The men’s soccer team (1-1-0) picked up a narrow 1-0 victory Saturday against cross-town rival Providence College (1-2-2). With the defeat of the Friars, Head Coach Chase Wileman picked up his first career win with the Bears. Bruno’s lone goal came when Jamin Gogo Peters ’26 fired a shot that found the back of the net after deflecting off a Providence defender.

Women’s soccer (4-1-1) tied with Northeastern University (3-3-2) Sunday afternoon following a last-second goal by the Huskies in the 89th minute to pull the game even. Ava Seelenfreund ’23.5 was the only name on the score sheet for Bruno. The draw against Northeastern comes after the Bears’ Thursday night loss to No. 22 Ohio State University (4-1-1), a 3-2 game in which Brown was unable to complete the comeback. 

Women’s rugby (0-1-1) battled to a 24-24 tie against Sacred Heart University (1-0-1) in their home opener. Kate Molloy ’23 scored a clutch late try to draw the score even and avoid defeat. 

The women’s volleyball team (3-4) traveled to Texas over the weekend, losing in three straight sets to both Rice University (8-1) Saturday and Texas Tech University (8-0) Sunday. But the Bears bounced back later Sunday, erasing a two-set deficit to come from behind and defeat Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi (0-11) in five sets. 

The men’s and women’s cross country teams posted strong efforts at multiple meets over the weekend. The women’s team finished third of 10 teams at the Nassaney Invitational and third of five teams at the Maribel Sanchez Souther Invitational. The men’s team finished fifth of six teams at the Friar Invitational.

Peter Swope

Peter Swope is the senior editor of digital engagement for The Brown Daily Herald's 133rd Editorial Board. He previously served as a Sports section editor and has also written stories for University News. Peter is a senior from New Jersey studying history.