Field hockey earns third consecutive shutout win over Wagner

Stout defense propels Bears to victory

<p>“I have 100% confidence in the defense in front of me,” said goalkeeper Jodie Brine ’23 following her sixth career shutout, the ninth-most in the program’s history.</p><p><br/>Courtesy of Brown Athletics</p>

“I have 100% confidence in the defense in front of me,” said goalkeeper Jodie Brine ’23 following her sixth career shutout, the ninth-most in the program’s history.

Courtesy of Brown Athletics

The field hockey team (8-2, 1-1 Ivy League) defeated Wagner University (5-5, 1-0 NEC) 2-0 at home Sunday. With the shutout, the Bears have now held their opponents scoreless in three consecutive games. The victory over the Seahawks rounded out a strong weekend for Bruno, who also defeated conference rival Dartmouth (3-7, 0-2 Ivy) by a score of 2-0 Saturday.

Head Coach Britt Broady attributed the Bears’ hot streak to their unity and team discipline, which she believes separates her squad from the competition. “I think our team truly works for each other and wants to win as a unit,” she said. “They are solution-oriented on attack as well as defense, and that dynamic makes us a dangerous team. They stay on task throughout a game and simply give each other everything they have to get the job done.”

Neither side was able to score in the first quarter, but Brown was able to strike first in the second after a shot by forward Catie Summers ’25 found the back of the net. A pass by midfielder Lucy Adams ’26 helped Summers beat the Wagner defense to land on the scoreboard.

Bruno dominated on penalty corners in the second half, helping the Bears pad their lead. A pass from forward Emma Rothkopf ’23 set up a score by midfielder Imogen Govan ’24, which pushed Bruno’s lead to 2-0, a lead they would not relinquish.

Rothkopf emphasized that the team’s success is a result of the effort they put in. “We’ve been working extremely hard, and our mindset has been to try and get better every single day,” she said. “Our three-game shutout streak is certainly a byproduct of that. The mindset and dedication to each other will remain the same to keep having the outcomes we want.”

Brown’s defense played a central role in the victory, preventing the Seahawks from even getting a shot off in the first half. But Wagner continued to play aggressively, forcing the Bears to make a number of crucial stops. The Seahawks put forth an especially strong effort in the final frame, taking nine shots in the quarter after taking only two in the previous three quarters combined.

Goalkeeper Jodie Brine ’23 and Bruno’s defense managed to keep Wagner off the scoreboard despite their persistent offensive effort, with Brine recording a trio of saves. She now has six career shutouts as goalkeeper, which is the ninth-most in program history.

In one crucial situation, captain and back Julia Hitti ’25 knocked down a Seahawk attempt after Brine had been drawn away from the goal while making a previous save. Hitti recorded three defensive saves on the game, bringing her career total to seven and putting her fourth on the all-time program leaderboard.

“I have 100% confidence in the defense in front of me. They allow me to play a more aggressive game and clean up anything behind me, which is a huge confidence boost,” Brine said. “The team’s defense as a whole has been improving throughout the season, and I think we’re becoming a huge defensive threat, which also enables our attack to be stronger.”

The Bears return to Ivy League play this Saturday when they take on Columbia (2-7, 0-2 Ivy League) at home.

Reporting by Gabriella Sartori.

Peter Swope

Peter Swope is the senior editor of digital engagement for The Brown Daily Herald's 133rd Editorial Board. He previously served as a Sports section editor and has also written stories for University News. Peter is a senior from New Jersey studying history.