Women’s basketball takes thriller over Monmouth, extends win streak to five games

Bears also take Monday contest against Central Connecticut State University

<p>After scoring a career-high 23 points during a Friday game, Grace Arnolie ’26 earned a second consecutive week as Ivy League Rookie of the Week.</p><p>Courtesy of Brown Athletics. </p><p></p>

After scoring a career-high 23 points during a Friday game, Grace Arnolie ’26 earned a second consecutive week as Ivy League Rookie of the Week.

Courtesy of Brown Athletics.

The women’s basketball team (5-2) defeated Monmouth University (4-3) 70-69 at the Pizzitola Sports Center Friday afternoon. The victory extended the team’s win streak to four games, after the Bears dropped their first two matches of the season. Brown extended the win streak to five with a 69-46 road victory over Central Connecticut State University (1-4) Monday night. 

The team was led on Friday by Grace Arnolie ’26, who scored a career-high 23 points as well as recording three assists and three steals. On Monday, Arnolie was named Ivy League Rookie of the Week for the second consecutive week.

"In the recruiting process, I saw Gracie play with that swag and not be afraid of the moment," Monique LeBlanc, coaching chair for women's basketball, said in a statement to Brown Athletics after Friday’s game. "She is someone that I've trusted to be ready and be willing and prepared to look to score."

Mackenzie Leahy ’26, who recorded 11 points that afternoon, and Charlotte Jewell ’24, who scored a season-high 14 points, were also standouts in the game.

The Bears started strong, taking a 21-15 lead into the second quarter and a 40-34 lead into halftime, hitting eight three-pointers along the way. The Bears extended their lead to 48-40 with 4:23 left in the third, but the Hawks stormed back to gain a 51-50 advantage in the quarter’s final minute.

“If we’re going to be a great team, we have to be prepared to make adjustments and understand that we might not be able to score in the exact same way every time,” LeBlanc said. “What we can keep consistent is our mentality, our aggressive approach and our willingness to just play hard and find the openings.”

The game ultimately came down to the wire. With the score tied at 69 and less than a second remaining on the clock, Arnolie was fouled after attempting a shot from three-point range. At the free throw line, Arnolie missed the first two shots before making the third, securing a dramatic home win for the Bears.

“Please make one,” Arnolie recalled telling herself in a post-game conversation with ESPN+. “I would’ve liked to make more than one and not just the last one, because (I) gave everyone a little heart attack.”

The Bears kept their positive momentum rolling on Monday night with a dominant 69-46 win against Central Connecticut State (1-4), bringing the team’s win streak to five games. Bruno shot 47.3% from the field and 43.8% from three in the victory while holding the Blue Devils to 29.7% and 9.1% shooting, respectively. 

“Our team (is) such a family,” said Arnolie. “We have a lot of chemistry off the court, and I knew that would translate on the court.”

The Bears’ next game will be Wednesday at 7 p.m. against Holy Cross, and their first Ivy matchup will come Jan. 2 against Penn.