Women, non-binary faculty members discuss experiences in academia

Panelists share stories of workplace misogyny, liberation in academic underestimation

On Tuesday, students gathered in the Graduate Student Lounge for a faculty panel on the experiences of women and nonbinary people in the world of academia organized by graduate community fellows Michal Golovanevsky GS and Catherine Chen GS. 

The panel included four faculty members — Françoise Hamlin, associate professor of history and Africana studies, Brenda Rubenstein, associate professor of chemistry, Ellie Pavlick, assistant professor of computer science and Emily Sprague-Klein, assistant professor of chemistry. 

"This initiative aims to provide insight into the career choices and experiences of women and non-binary leaders at the forefront of academia," the event description read. The questions asked could cover "career choices, overcoming discrimination, finding your voice, mentorship, and work-life balance."

Audience member Annette Lopez GS said that the panelists’ advice was “incredibly helpful.”

“The opportunity for me to see other women in STEM, even in 2023, as a woman of color, it’s great,” Lopez said.

Chen and Golovanevsky hoped that audience members would find representation in their planning of the panel. 

“I went to a women’s college for my undergrad, and I wanted to kind of bring a little bit of that community here,” Chen said.

A previous version of this article included comments that were provided in a confidential setting. The Herald regrets the error.

Sofia Barnett

Sofia Barnett is a University News editor overseeing the faculty and higher education beat. She is a junior from Texas studying history and English nonfiction and enjoys freelancing in her free time.