Women’s lacrosse handed first loss of Ivy play in 18-6 defeat to Yale

Leah Caputo ’24.5 notches pair of goals in blowout

<p>The Bears started the first quarter strong, when they scored two of their six points. </p><p>Courtesy of Brown Athletics </p>

The Bears started the first quarter strong, when they scored two of their six points. 

Courtesy of Brown Athletics

On a rainy Saturday afternoon in Providence, the women's lacrosse team (5-5, 2-1 Ivy) was handed a resounding 18-6 defeat by No. 14 Yale (8-2, 3-0 Ivy), who are currently first in the Ivy League standings.

The Bears started the first quarter strong, scoring two of their six points, outshooting the Bulldogs nine to five and winning four of the five draw controls. After Mia Mascone ’24 received a yellow card, Yale scored its first goal of the game on a power play in the seventh minute. The Bears went on the attack, but lost the ball on a saved shot, leaving Yale to score its second goal of the game on a free-position shot minutes later.

The Bears responded quickly, with an impressive behind-the-back shot, assisted by Mascone, by Annie Burton ’25, marking her 21st goal of the season. Bruno then defended the Yale attack, clearing the ball and winning a free position shot. Brown converted the attempt, making it a tie game at 2-2 with 1:14 left in the opening quarter.

The second quarter began similarly to the first, with back-to-back Yale goals in the first three minutes of play. Leah Caputo ’24.5 fired back quickly to make the game 4-3, but this was the only sign of life from the Bears’ offense this quarter.

Caputo’s score was then followed by a slew of Yale goals, with the Bulldogs forcing seven turnovers and outshooting Bruno 12-2. The Bulldogs rained down goal after goal on the Bears, bringing the score to 9-3 by the end of the second quarter. Brown’s only other shot of the quarter came from a last-minute attempt by Greta Criqui ’25.

Within the first minute of the third quarter, Caputo scored her second goal of the day to bring the game within five, but Yale responded with three successive goals to bring the score to 12-4.

Caputo was the only Bear to score more than once during the game, while Mascone was the only other player with two points — both assists.

Midfielder Maddie Joyce ’24.5 was able to score once more for Bruno, assisted by Claire Jeschke ’23, but the Bulldogs quickly tacked on two more goals, closing the third quarter with the Bears in a 14-5 deficit. 

In the fourth quarter, Brown’s only goal came on a free position attempt scored by Marley Wright ’26, her second goal of the season. The Bulldogs continued their domination, scoring four times to finalize their victory over the Bears. Bruno’s loss was their first in Ivy play after previously defeating Harvard and Columbia.

The Bears will look to get back in the win column Wednesday night at Dartmouth. The game will be available to stream on ESPN+.

Dennis Carey

Dennis Carey is a Sports Editor who enjoys playing volleyball, listening to and collecting vinyl records, and poorly playing the guitar in his spare time.