Stellar acting performances keep ‘Jaane Jaan’ afloat

Despite unsurprising resolution, star-studded cast shines in film

<p><span style="background-color: transparent;">After two decades in the industry, leading actress Kareena Kapoor Khan once again proves that she is here to stay.</span></p><p>Courtesy of Netflix.</p>

After two decades in the industry, leading actress Kareena Kapoor Khan once again proves that she is here to stay.

Courtesy of Netflix.

Netflix’s long list of movie offerings is continuously in flux, with new releases dropping and fading from memory every month. But this will hopefully not be the case with “Jaane Jaan,” which arrived on the streaming service Sept. 21. The film stars Vijay Varma and Jaideep Ahlawat — some of the biggest names in the Indian streaming media space — and Kareena Kapoor Khan, one of the most popular commercial actors in the country.

Written and directed by Sujoy Ghosh, the film is an adaptation of the 2005 Japanese novel, “The Devotion of Suspect X” by Keigo Higashino. It follows the story of Maya D’Souza (Khan) and her daughter Tara (Naisha Khanna), who find themselves at the center of a murder investigation led by Inspector Karan Anand (Varma). The mother-daughter duo acquire unexpected help from their genius, albeit creepy, neighbor Naren Vyas (Ahlawat), who goes by “Teacher.”

Set in Kalimpong, West Bengal, the remote nature of the film’s location becomes the perfect background for this mystery-crime thriller. The rolling fog, quiet streets and small-town vibe where everyone knows everyone contribute to building suspense throughout the film and help advance its plot. 

The cooler visual tones of “Jaane Jaan” also keep the film’s general mood uneasy in anticipation of its climax. The film masterfully utilizes color changes to draw attention to particularly important moments, such as the abrupt red lightning used during the scene where Maya and Karan sing at a karaoke bar or during one of the first interactions between Maya and Naren. 

The acting in the film also remains superb. After two decades in the industry, Khan proves that she is here to stay. From the delivery of her dialogue to the chemistry she has with the other actors — particularly during her fight scene with Saurabh Sachdeva’s character Ajit — Khan’s portrayal of Maya showcases her skill as an actress.

Ahlawat comes forward as another show-stopping actor. His expressions and nuances convey the coldness, insecurities and weirdness radiating from the “Teacher” to the audience. Ahlawat effortlessly delights with every on-screen interaction and certainly deserves a few awards for his performance.  

Varma is effervescent and charming in his portrayal of Karan. From his first scene in the kickboxing ring to his romantic storyline, Varma’s determination and quick wit make his presence on screen enjoyable. 

While most crime mystery thrillers are fast-paced, “Jaane Jaan” takes time to build to its climax. But while the slower pace of the movie helps in giving the actors time to impress audiences with their prowess, it also makes viewers want to watch the movie at 1.5x speed — potentially detracting from its not-so-obvious nuances. 

The film’s plot, however, lacks a surprise element that makes for an overall unsatisfying watching experience. While the plot is interesting enough, anyone who has seen recent films in the mystery genre will be able to easily predict the ending.

Ultimately, “Jaane Jaan” is an entertaining one-time watch, with its leading actors managing to shine even with a predictable and underwhelming plot.