Domination in Ithaca: Bears take road series against Cornell

Women’s softball beats Cornell in three-game series

The Bears set the tone early during the first game of the series, building a 6-1 lead by the end of the third inning.
Courtesy of Ashton Daniel Robertson via Brown Athletics
The Bears set the tone early during the first game of the series, building a 6-1 lead by the end of the third inning. Courtesy of Ashton Daniel Robertson via Brown Athletics

Over the weekend, the softball team (12-18, 5-7 Ivy) took on Cornell in Ithaca, New York. The Bears bested the Big Red, taking home two victories out of the three-game series. The first contest of the series was a Bruno offensive onslaught, blowing Cornell out 10-2. On the second day, the Bears split a doubleheader, winning the first matchup 4-3 before falling 2-0 in the final bout. 

Originally slated to play on Saturday, the Bears kicked off the series Sunday morning after a one-day weather delay. Spearheaded by an electric performance from Jasmine Hsiao ’26 — who ended the game with four RBIs, three hits and three runs — Brown’s unrelenting attack overwhelmed the Big Red. 

“I think the team’s success this weekend was a combination of great hitting and clean defense,” Hsiao wrote in a message to The Herald. “Our team made some really great plays on defense (and) our pitchers did a great job for the entire series (getting) us out of jams with runners on.” 

The Bears set the tone early, building a 2–0 lead in the first inning. Converting her first at-bat was leadoff hitter Laurel Moody ’25. A sacrifice bunt from Lily Berlinger ’26 and a Hsiao single propelled Moody around the diamond, scoring the first points of the game. Brianna Rodriguez ’24 stepped up next, cleaning up the inning by scoring Hsiao for the two-point advantage. 

After capturing the initial lead, the Bears refused to give it up, piling on the points inning after inning. On their next at-bat, Leah Carey ’25 sliced a ball across the left outfield to score Liv Kam ’26. While they were held to just one point in the second, the Bears erupted for three runs in the third inning. Hsiao made her presence felt once again, not only scoring Berlinger and Moody but going on to score herself, pushing Brown’s advantage to 6-1 by the end of the third. 

Going scoreless in the fourth, the Bears attacked the fifth inning with reinvigorated prowess. In a hit that echoed across the field, Berlinger blasted the ball at the top of the fifth, sending it sailing into the woods for her first home run of the season. 

“Hitting my first home run of the season was a thrilling feeling,” Berlinger wrote after the match. “My amazing teammates honestly made the atmosphere so energetic. Our team has built a culture of family which uplifts any success, small or large, and I want to thank them for making this season so special.”

But even with a five-point margin, the Bears did not relent their attack. Before the inning wound to a close, Hsiao scored for the third time of the day. Delivering the final blow in the sixth inning were Vanessa Alexander ’25 and Berlinger, cementing the 10-2 victory. 

“Sunday’s win was a morale booster,” Hsiao wrote. “Being able to mercy rule in 6 innings gave us the confidence on Monday to go all out and secure a series win. This confidence will stay with us throughout the remaining Ivy series.”

On Monday morning, the Bears hoped to build on the previous day’s success. Rodriguez led the pack with a vicious hit that soared over the field. Bouncing off the wall just inches shy of a homer, Rodriguez scored both Moody and Cameron Ray ’26. For the remainder of the game, the Bears upheld the lead, pushing it to 4–0 in the sixth inning. Rodriguez, once more in action, connected to score Hsiao, reaching second base herself. Crucially, Rodriguez scored only minutes later, as the Big Red went on a late offensive spurt, collecting three runs in the sixth inning. With one point to spare, the Bears escaped with a 4–3 victory.

Despite collecting four hits in the final game of the series — two by Moe Castens ’24, alongside a hit by both Hsiao and Dara English ’24 — Brown remained scoreless throughout the bout. Unable to overcome their offensive woes, the Bears fell 2–0 to the Big Red. Nonetheless, by a 2–1 margin, the weekend ended in a Bruno series win. 

“This weekend truly everyone played a key role in our success,” Berlinger finished. “I'm so proud of where our team has come from and the family we have created. Looking forward, we have so much potential to make the Ivy tournament and I believe in every single one of my teammates to continue to work hard to get us there.”

Lydell Dyer

Lydell Dyer is a Senior Staff Writer for the sports section. A sophomore hailing from Bonn, Germany, Lydell is studying nonfiction English and political science, and if he's not off "making words sound pretty," you can find him lifting heavy circles at the Nelson.