As the University redoubles its efforts to increase Brown's profile abroad and attract more international students — particularly students from India — the numbers are beginning to show for it.

Though China still contributes the most international students — 33 enrolled in the class of 2013 — Brown's Indian population is steadily increasing.

According to data provided by the Office of Admission, the number of first-year Indian students has grown. Only three students enrolled with the class of 2010 listed India as their nation of residence, while this year's entering class boasted 15 students from the subcontinent.

Panetha Ott, director of international admission, said the University was "actively trying" to inform Indian students about Brown and attract them to the school.

Matthew Gutmann, vice president for international affairs, underscored Brown's interest in India. "Brown needs to have a bigger presence in India," he said, adding that he plans to visit India himself this year.

"I would hope that we would have more students from India interested in studying here," he added.

Ott said a primary component of the admissions office's strategy was sending officers to these countries. "Our strategy is to visit countries from which we are trying to get students," she said.

Dean of Admission James Miller '73 said his office has been focusing on recruiting international students. "We certainly are being a lot more proactive in terms of international recruitment," he said.

"We've spent a lot of time in Asia over the last four years," he added, "and we've been to India every year for the last three or four years."

The University is also working to strengthen its relationship with India by declaring 2009-2010 the "Year of India." According to Vasundhara Prasad '12, one of the event's organizers, one of the goals of the initiative — which includes a year of events on campus — is to increase awareness of Brown in India.

Prasad, who is originally from Mumbai, said that through this and other efforts, Brown was "definitely making its presence felt" in India. Last spring, alums founded the Brown Club of India, a group for Brown alums and parents. "I think they're really making a conscious effort," Prasad said.

Prasad also said that while Brown is not yet a household name in India, recent efforts have increased the University's profile.

"When people in India apply to schools in the United States, they only apply to the known names, and Brown hasn't had much of a presence," she said. "We need people to aspire to get into Brown as they aspire to get into Harvard or Yale."